+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

rich

Yes | No

E46 engine & trans in E30 chassis

can anyone out there help me with the project of installing an e46 m3 engine ste up in an E30 chassis.

Registered Member
    Member No: 23679 digdesign is an unknown quantity at this point digdesign's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: E46 engine & trans in E30 chassis

Registered Member
    Member No: 11528 rheacox is an unknown quantity at this point rheacox's Avatar

Yes | No

Edgeman's got the right idea. It'll take just as much work and more money to install an S54 as it does to install an LS1/LS2/LS6 and the S54 (iron block) probably weighs more than the LS engines and don't have near the hp or torque.GMW-CSL is a stock appearing, inside and out,(except for wheels, lowered chassis, exhaust tips and, of course, the engine compartment, 2850#, '88 M3 with a 450 hp Gen III, Corvette LS6/Camaro 6-speed drivetrain. It runs and drives very smoothly and it has smooth seamless power from idle on up.

GMW/CSL = '88 M3 COUPE
    ZO6 engine, 6-speed Camaro tranny, Fittipaldi Fin wheels, Nitto 215 - 45 -17 tires, '02 M Roadster or M Coupe front and rear suspension to be installed soon, almost finished for a serious 2800# CSL with 400 HP to wheels. [email protected] for a word doc on the project.

Registered Member
    Member No: 39390 Edgeman is an unknown quantity at this point Edgeman's Avatar

Yes | No

Kewl! I'm glad someone else has one of these...

conversions. I had planned to do a M30 turbo with a 635CSi I purchased, but the 745 turbo stuff that came with the car was junk. We elected to go for an LS1 (which is 100lbs lighter than the M30 it replaced)/T56 6-speed conversion. I've upgraded the software, but it's probably only putting out around 375 HP. It is also very sedate around town thanks to the massive torque.

My car's fast, but I would guess a E30 M3 with a LS6 transplant must be a screamer.

Cheers!
    John
    85 M635CSi
    86 657CSi
    88 M3

Registered Member
    Member No: 38534 tpooshon is an unknown quantity at this point tpooshon's Avatar

Yes | No

I guess no one has any experience in this project

Registered Member
    Member No: 23679 digdesign is an unknown quantity at this point digdesign's Avatar

Yes | No

did you see my post?

Registered Member
    Member No: 38534 tpooshon is an unknown quantity at this point tpooshon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: did you see my post?

yes i did, but it seem that its the first time he's doing it like myself. Thank you, i'm trying to get a hold of him to see if I could pick his brain a little.

Registered Member
    Member No: 13072 slawz3 is an unknown quantity at this point slawz3's Avatar

Yes | No

It is an electrical nightmare. Tony is the only guy i have heard attempt it....and even then he is having chassis/rust issues that has slowed down his project.

An S50 is a much easier swap. There is plenty of info on the net about the S50 swap. The S54 is essentially the same major issues except the electronics.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Actually i have a bit of rust that I'm dealing with right now, but the difference is I own a body shop. I already have an idea of how and what I need to do inorder to get the car running. As of right now my car has been sand blasted, tomorow going to start taking care of the rust while this is going on I'm on the net and auction looking for an engine donor. the donor has to be an E46 m3 or 2000 & up M5

Registered Member
    Member No: 39390 Edgeman is an unknown quantity at this point Edgeman's Avatar

Yes | No

Why not a LS2?

Simple design, (relatively) cheap, lightweight, gobs of torque, and stock engines produce 400hp.
    Cheers!
    John
    85 M635CSi
    86 657CSi
    88 M3

Registered Member
    Member No: 61247 m3pilot1 is an unknown quantity at this point m3pilot1's Avatar

Yes | No

are you looking for a euro S50B32 ?

also there is a euro 6 speed available as well

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information