+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 28266 PANCHO-M3 is an unknown quantity at this point PANCHO-M3's Avatar

Yes | No

Can't find the CD changer cables in trunk!! Help!!

Hi Folks. I cannot find anywhere in the trunk of my 2001 530i sport/premium, premium sound, etc. the plugs that are supposed to be there to connect the optional cd changer. My car has in the trunk the label of the cd changer, homelink and cellular, but have not been able to find the supposed 2 spare plugs that was told goes into the cd changer. I have find the following spare wires in the cd changer / amp compartment:

1-Tiny coax cable, which goes into the amp (sitting in bottom of compartment, against the wheel housing)
    2- Small 3 wire plug along with coax at same location as item 1.
    3- Big blue plug, similar in shape to one of the connectors in the top of the amp (in the top of the compartment also against the wheel housing)
    4- Small three wire plug, similar to the one in item 1, at same locatiion as item 3.
    5- Two (2) big coaxial cables, also sitting at same location as items 3 & 4.
    6- Big black plug, similar in shape to a computer paralel (printer) connector, also at same location as item 3, 4 & 5.

I remove the screws of the amp and look behind, plus look underneath the floor carpet, but can't find any more spare cables. Am I missing something? Could my car come, fully equipped with so many factory options, but not come pre-wired for the cd changer?

I'm looking for this cables for a Icelink Installation (I120 trunk kit on its way), have several pictures but have not find a way to post them here. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Francisco Quiles
    2001 (10-2000) 530ia
    Sport/Premium Pkg.
    Titanium Silver / Back Leather Seats
    Convenience Package
    Rear Sunshades
    Premium Sound
    In-dash CD Player
    Sun Roof
    Xenon Lights
    Retired: 11/95 M3, Cosmos Black (Still miss it!!)
    1987 325i 4dr white (wife's old car)

SRR2

Yes | No

It's been a while, but

I think the wires you're looking for are tied back behind the trim panel over the wheel well high up close to the edge of the trunk lid. You sort of have to reach up and in to find the small bundle. But it's been a while and it's possible I'm recalling something else.

OldGuy

Yes | No

You have it right

Registered Member
    Member No: 28266 PANCHO-M3 is an unknown quantity at this point PANCHO-M3's Avatar

Yes | No

Not there (more)

What I see at that location are the cables I point out which are: Big blue connector, parallel type connector, small 3 wire connector and 2 coax cables. There is no 6 pin plug there that I have seen. I will try to post pictures of the area, if someone has pictures please post them to see them.

ThanksFrancisco Quiles
    2001 (10-2000) 530ia
    Sport/Premium Pkg.
    Convenience Package
    Rear Sunshades
    Premium Sound
    In-dash CD Player
    Sun Roof
    Xenon Lights

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

they can be tucked together on wire harness that M

rest above the foam covered wheel well. one 2 conductor one 6 conductor.
    Examine wire harness carefully/ Jay Gans
    Y2K 528 5spCT

Registered Member

Yes | No

Even more confused with Dension Instructions??

Hi Folks. I have done an extensive look all over the trunk, by removing the foam, looking under the carpet, following wire harness up to the point they go into the back seats, etc. and those two (2) 3 pin and 6 pin plugs that some of you had mentioned does not exist in my 2001 (10/2000) 530i with the premium (DSP) sound system. The only cabling I have that relates to the cd changer is the coaxial cable and a small, 3 pin plug, which has a brown, a red/green and a white/yellow cables, which were seating at the bottom of the cd changer compartment towards the wheel housing. I just downloaded from Dension the instructions for the Icelink Plus installations on BMW's and on page 5 it reads as follows:

"To accomodate vehicles where only a coaxial connection is present, you most purchase the optional Dension DSP converter kit." The picture associated with this wording shows what I have found in my car: The small coaxial plug comming out of the amp, plus a small, 3 pin plug with brown, red/green, and white/yellow cables. Could it be that my car does not have / needs the 3 pin and 6 pin cables? I have already purchased the Radio Shack DSP converter and understand that the DAC converter provides for the coaxial cable the conversion from the analog output of the Dension Icelink module into the digital that the amp needs, but then how the other signals would go into the head unit for the steering controls, radio text, etc? Am I forced to connect instead in the back of the radio? (Not even sure if my radio is in the dash or in the trunk, heard that also depends on year and DSP / non DSP).

So, my question is, can someone that has done this in a 530i or a 2001 or new 5er vehicle WITH the DSP system clarify this for me? (Or, have someone added the cd changer into a DSP equipped 5er which is 2001-2003? I doubt BMW could have "miss" those plugs in my vehicle since understand all BMW's come pre-wired for cd changers. (I do know the DSP and non-DSP wirings are different, though). Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Francisco
    Francisco Quiles
    2001 (10-2000) 530ia
    Sport/Premium Pkg.
    Convenience Package
    Rear Sunshades
    Premium Sound
    In-dash CD Player
    Sun Roof
    Xenon Lights

Gwenssin

Yes | No

Re: Even more confused with Dension Instructions??

Francisco I ran into the exact same problem on my 01 530i MSport only mine has the 3 pin for the changer but not the 6 pin and believe me I have had the entire trunk area removed looking for the 6 pin connector. It does not exist. The only thing I noticed was that the previous owner (or someone) had spliced into some of the amp wires so I assume there had in the past had a cd changer there. After buying 2 different changers with no luck I just gave up. If anyone can tell me where the 6 pin connector would wire into I sure would like to know @ [email protected]

Registered Member
    Member No: 175547 JimCash is an unknown quantity at this point JimCash's Avatar

Yes | No

You have found one of the connectors - but there should be another. I have send you a diagram by email.

The location of the radio depends on whether you have the On board Monitor panel (with navigation) or the regular MID display panel.

If it is the MID then the radio (tuner) is part of the single CD module behind the trim flap. If you have the OBM then the tuner is in the trunk next to the amp, CD changer and navigation units.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Gwenssin

Yes | No

Jim I can plug the 3 pin to the cd changer in the trunk and my radio and controls recognize it and operates it but I have no sound so I assume that has something to do with the 6 pin plug that is missing from the trunk area.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Although I can not find it on the wiring drawings I know that when you have the DSP amp that the sound from the CD changer goes digitally to the amp via that small coax cable - is yours connected?

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Gwenssin

Yes | No

The only coax type cables located in the trunk area, 3 of them are for the cell phone connection or NAV. Neither are designed to plug into the cd changer. On my changer there appears to be a very small single plug hole but nothing in the trunk to plug in there.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That "plug hole" on the CD changer is for the coax cable I mentioned. It is a short thin cable that also plugs into a similar connector on the DDSP amp (top side).

If you can not find that cable lying somwhere in the car then it is available from the dealer - may differ by model year.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Hi there
    reviving this thread in case there is any input.
    I cannot find the six pin nor the digital audio wire on my recently purchased 2020 530i with dsp.
    Very odd.
    It was super easy on my 2003 525it, the three of them were all together and installing the USA-SPec was very straight forward, but however much I dig in there in the 530i no luck.
    Any hints?
    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.196.61.140

Unregistered

Yes | No

6 pin

Based of what Jason from Bavarian Sound Werks told me,

I have a 01 740iL with OEM Nav and aftermarket speakers/amp (I deleted DSP). I have been trying to install my Dice iPod integration but cannot get sound to head unit cause I deleted my DSP (would have had to connect co axial cable from Dice DSP adapter to DSP amp). I only have a three pin (power). I was told I need to get a six pin CD changer cable (provides audio) that connects to my Dice (possibly to your equipment as well) and to the Radio tuner/On-Board Monitor Radio/MID that should be located behind the DSP amp under the trim! You can get this cable from BMW or online. Here is a link to install a CD changer... Hope this is helpful.. if you need to reach me my user name in Bimmerforums.com is PDX7.

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E38/CD%20changer%20install.pdf

(refer to page 3/8)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 216.81.81.82

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Based of what Jason from Bavarian Sound Werks told me,

I have a 01 740iL with OEM Nav and aftermarket speakers/amp (I deleted DSP). I have been trying to install my Dice iPod integration but cannot get sound to head unit cause I deleted my DSP (would have had to connect co axial cable from Dice DSP adapter to DSP amp). I only have a three pin (power). I was told I need to get a six pin CD changer cable (provides audio) that connects to my Dice (possibly to your equipment as well) and to the Radio tuner/On-Board Monitor Radio/MID that should be located behind the DSP amp under the trim! You can get this cable from BMW or online. Here is a link to install a CD changer... Hope this is helpful.. if you need to reach me my user name in Bimmerforums.com is PDX7.

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E38/CD%20changer%20install.pdf

(refer to page 3/8)
    Correction: refer to page 4/8 in the PDF. I believe its cable F or G.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 216.81.81.82

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information