+ Reply to Thread
    Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Construction of Graf water pump?

I ordered a Graf w/p from autohausaz.com recently for routine replacement. I've seen articles posted elsewhere that indicated that the impellers were "solid iron" instead of sheet aluminum.

I would describe mine as sheet aluminum spot welded together.

Am I getting something other than what I should be, or is iron no longer offered from Graf?

Craig.

edjack

Yes | No

Maybe so...mine was iron. But, on the other hand..

maybe sheet aluminum is a better choice for an all-aluminum engine??

My OEM pump had a sheet aluminum impeller.

cn

Yes | No

Get a magnet and appy it on the impeller

and you will find out if it is iron or aluminum.

cn

Registered Member
    Member No: 67006 MHughett is an unknown quantity at this point MHughett's Avatar

Yes | No

Geba makes what looks like a cast iron impeller

On the site I buy my parts, they sell both Geba and Graf w/p's. As you have described, Graf's impeller is a light, thin metal. I just replaced one in a '99 323i with M52 engine and the factory unit was just like it--it was not a plastic impeller like I've seen before on most factory w/p's. The Geba unit looks a lot more robust but I've heard that the extra weight from this impeller may wear out the bearing quicker.

I've been using the Graf w/p's with the light metal impellers for about 10 years and I've never had one fail.2003 530i--Sterling Gray/Gray
    5-speed, Sport, PP, Xenon, CWP, CDV Delete

SRR2

Yes | No

Re: Construction of Graf water pump?

Solid "iron"? Iron isn't good for much at all, much less immersed in water. I don't see any problem OTOH with a spot welded aluminum impeller in an aluminum engine.

When you consider the forces applied to the water pump bearing by weight of the fan assembly and the belt tension, the weight of the impeller becomes mostly irrelevant.

Paul Shovestul

Yes | No

Any chance it's really...

stainless steel? The pump I installed in my M50 had a very elaborate brazed stainless steel impeller.

cn

Yes | No

I'd not worry

Graf has made it this way for over 15-20 yrs and used qidely in MB, BMW, Audi, Volvo, VW etc.

A picture is here:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...-Pump/pic7.jpg

(Old WP with plastic impeller shown for comparison)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cgi-...1517527799-M52

I have been using Graf for more than 10 yeras in different cars. No issues at all. In fact after 100K miles at removal for leaking seal, the impeller was still good!

cn

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Mine's not like that

If you're saying that a "regular" Graf is like the one on the left, mine's not like that. Nor is it like the one pictured on the autohausaz.com web site, which DOES look like the one on the left. I'll try to snap a picture today and post it.

Craig.

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

could be....

Mike H

Yes | No

When did BMW start using metal impellers?

I just replaced the W/P on a friend's '99 528i this weekend and I was surprised that it had a metal impeller already on it. I thought all BMW's came with plastic/composite materials and that only the aftermarket W/P's used metal.

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Pictures of my pump and box

Here are some pics of my pump, impeller, and the box its all in stating "NEW IMPROVED IMPELLER".

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Opinions? Yes, it's metal, but it doesn't look like the autohausaz or other people's pics that look more like

this from autohausaz's site.

Craig.

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

I think it might be a crap shoot

Frankly, I'd expect the older cars to have metal and the newer ones to have "better, cheaper" plastic.

I think I've heard that they've used plastic, a couple designs of metal, and ceramic over the years. (unconfirmed)

Craig.

cn90

Yes | No

I'd not worry as Graf is very reputable company

Install it and enjoy the ride.
    I seriously doubt you will ever have trouble with this "New and Improved Pump".

In fact I like the picture will get for myself soon.

cn90
    1998 528i5spd88K

SRR2

Yes | No

Re: Pictures of my pump and box

Funny, the baseplate, ring, and welds look like stainless, but the impeller looks like aluminium. That combination doesn't sound all that great to me, so I'm probably wrong about the impeller and it's stainless too.

All the nonsense about these water pumps could have been avoided if they'd have used a decent material for the plastic impeller in the first place. Something like glass-filled polysulfone. It's almost as strong as steel, would outlast the car and doesn't cost all that much more than junk plastic. It's just like the morons that make water heaters. Saved $0.04 on the dip tube, and it cost them many millions in settlements when they had to replace them when they decomposed. The better water heaters now have polysulfone dip tubes.

cn90

Yes | No

Graf versus Geba versus Airtex

http://www2.bimmerpartswholesale.com...r+Pump&dp=true

Well, I agree with Craig, I don't know what to say but Graf WP used to be more solid, now with the "New and Improved" look, it has the look of aircraft propeller. Probably OK.

Graf "New and Improved" looks like they weld many pieces together. So as a rule, anything welded together and submerged in water tends to fail.

However, Geba looks more like one single piece.

Airtex...I do not like Plastic (except for VISA card!).

cn90
    1998 528i

Unregistered

Yes | No

Geba Waterpump failed less than 25K miles

I thought to replece my OEM waterpump on my E36 at 60K with the "improved" metal impeller
    pump by GEBA. It completely seized snapping the shaft in two stopping the engine completely.

I thought my engine had seized as could not budge the crankshaft with a breaker bar and 22 mm socket.
    The bearings on the waterpump had seized resulting in breaking the shaft of the pump.

It seems the extra weight of the metal impeller (i think it cast iron) wore the bearing prematurely.

I put the original pump back in and ordered a HEPU pump with metal impeller. Hopefully this brand that was
    OEM for the old 4cyl Volvos is excellent quality...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.234.41.136

Registered Member
    Member No: 185372 doru will become famous soon enough doru's Avatar

Yes | No
    I got the Stewart EMP WP. Could not be more happier. Stainless steel, more flow & bigger bearing. Made in the US of A. Heavy duty. I'm sure it will outlast the car.
    2003 BMW 530
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.70.192.10

Unregistered

Yes | No

Oh and it lasted 4 years, and ~22K miles, Geba is JUNK

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I thought to replece my OEM waterpump on my E36 at 60K with the "improved" metal impeller
    pump by GEBA. It completely seized snapping the shaft in two stopping the engine completely.

I thought my engine had seized as could not budge the crankshaft with a breaker bar and 22 mm socket.
    The bearings on the waterpump had seized resulting in breaking the shaft of the pump.

It seems the extra weight of the metal impeller (i think it cast iron) wore the bearing prematurely.

I put the original pump back in and ordered a HEPU pump with metal impeller. Hopefully this brand that was
    OEM for the old 4cyl Volvos is excellent quality...
    Oh and it lasted 4 years, and ~22K miles, Geba is JUNK
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.234.41.136

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information