+ Reply to Thread
    btm3840

Yes | No

Help - Removing Paint "smudge" ..........

All - I accidently rubbed against the side of my garage door opening when I was backing into the garage and have a slight white paint blemish on my rear quarter panel. I don't believe that there is any body damage and the clear coat does not appear to be cracked. What's the best way to remove the white paint from the car? I've been thinking about either rubbing compound polish or a clay bar. I haven't asked any detail shops or auto paint stores for advice, as I thought I would start here first.

Thanks for the help.

Brian.

Registered Member
    Member No: 125455 m8powr is an unknown quantity at this point m8powr's Avatar

Yes | No

Avoid a rubbing compound! Clay bar recommended...

i've had a few bad experiences - i've done quite a few cars...

David 1

Yes | No

Fine Rubbing Compound, fine cut, rub lightly.

Then polish it with glazing compound, then wax..

Registered Member
    Member No: 129167 hughpg is an unknown quantity at this point hughpg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Help - Removing Paint smudge ..........

You really been to be careful with rubbing conpound. It can scratch up your paint in a heartbeat if you use it the wrong way. Claying the whole car would really impress you once you've done it, and it is very easy to do. When claying, NEVER drop the clay as you will have to cut that section that hits the ground off, or better yet through the whole bar away and start with a frech one. Also, you must use a good lubricant while claying. After you are finished, you will need to rewax, but your car will feel like glass. You will be surprised how much grit the paint picks up in just a few months. Claying gets rid of all of that. I've used both Mother's clay and Zaino Bros clay, and they both work great. Zaino is my favorite wax, but you have to layer it, so it take a few days to get it done right. Back to your smudge, if clay doesn't take it off, a good quality cleaner wax might be the ticket. It has a little more cutting than regular wax, but not as abrasive as rubbing or polishing compound. good luck

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information