+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Lunatic Fringe air pressure gauge

Over the years, I've amassed a collection of differing types of air pressure gauges (and I suspect I'm not alone). Everything from old VDO analog style to hi-tech digital. All worked reasonably well but none ever agreed on the pressure being measured making me highly suspicious of their accuracy.
    As I became more sophisticated in my chassis tuning, and in particular began using a tire pyrometer to measure the temperature of the tire's working surface, I really wanted a gauge I could trust and that would provide repeatable, accurate results, down to 1/10 of a lb.

Well, I finally found it! Made by Intercomp, this digital air pressure gauge is the very best available. It reads in PSI, BAR and Kg/CM2. Range in PSI is 0-100 with a readout of 0.1 PSI. It has a push button to zero the display which compensates for temperature and altitude variations, peak hold function, and a 1/2" tall backlit display. Here's the really trick part: accuracy is guaranteed to be within 0.5% of the applied pressure! Most other high quality (read expensive) 0-100 PSI gauges have a top accuracy rating of 1% of full scale which means they can be off by up to 1 lb. at any pressure reading. In other words, where the other gauges could read anywhere from 34-36 PSI when measuring a 35 PSI pressure, the Intercomp would read 34.8-35.2 PSI. In my own collection, some of the gauges were off by up to 5 PSI! And the Intercomp goes one big step further: every time you turn it on, the gauge goes through a self-check program which verifys its accuracy and if the gauge ever needs recalibration, it will alert you!

To make it easy to use, the Intercomp gauge has a 20" hose with a 45 degree swivel nozzle and a thumb operated bleed-off valve which makes adjusting pressures much simpler. Plus, there are 2 versions available. #360045 Digital Air Pressure Gauge has all of the features described above. #360094 adds fill capability which I really like. That means you can hook your air supply right to the gauge and fill, bleed and read air pressure without removing the nozzle from the valve stem. Pretty slick! You can also use this gauge without an air supply so it covers all the bases.

Now,all this accuracy and convenience doesn't come cheap. The #360045 gauge runs $295 and the #360094 gauge runs $395. One way to justify the expense involved, aside from peace of mind, is to use the Intercomp to calibrate the rest of your tire pressure gauges. Just note the difference in readings (you'll be amazed at the variations) and use that knowledge to compensate for the inaccuracy of your other gauges. Now you can have truly accurate gauges in all your cars without having to spend a fortune! Plus, your Intercomp gauge can be returned to the factory for recalibration if it ever needs it so it should be the last one you'll ever have to buy.

Lunatic fringe? Yes, but life is short and then you die!

Intercomp: 800-328-3336. www.intercomp-racing.com (Check out their weight scales while you're there; really nice!)Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 99374 hmartin99 is an unknown quantity at this point hmartin99's Avatar

Yes | No

#360094 on its way! Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 44681 Z8Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bob's Avatar

Yes | No

OMG! Raises obsessive to a whole new level.

Next time my wife "gets on my case" I'm going to show her this!

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 112123 Z8NY is an unknown quantity at this point Z8NY's Avatar

Yes | No

Ok...when I die I want to come back as...

...the Grease Monkey.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

Thank you GM! another order for 360094!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information