+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 119151 stukatz90210 is an unknown quantity at this point stukatz90210's Avatar

Yes | No

WTF are the cops in Calgary using in speed traps

these days? And more importantly what do I need to detect it? I went through 2 speed traps this week and not a peep out of my Passport 8500!! I went through the second one a few more times just to make sure and still nothing.

1999 540/6 Royal Red/Sand
    M5 Clears
    OEM Style 65 (M5) Wheels/Tires (GY F1's)
    M5 Grills
    Zimmermann drill slot rotors Front/Rear

Retired:
    '88 325

Registered Member
    Member No: 114471 HurtinUnit is an unknown quantity at this point HurtinUnit's Avatar

Yes | No

I find detectors are somewhat useless in city

My V1 is going off all the time for signals, and I have X-band disabled. If I left the volume on it would just be chirp chirp chirping away all the time.

Also, the majority of speed traps I've seen in Calgary use laser.

Registered Member
    Member No: 73627 bpepper19 is an unknown quantity at this point bpepper19's Avatar

Yes | No

Yeah, I hate them in the city. Just annoying and

you probably ignore it after a while anyways. HU, were you on Deerfoot yesterday turning on to Memorial at about 6:30PM? I saw a nice e36 M3.

HurtinUnit

Yes | No

No wasn't me.

You'll be looking for a violet E36 with a lil' bling on the wheels :)I put the summer rubber on already, couldn't stand to wait anymore.

now I'm getting the mod bug again and thinking about doing the suspension...

How was vegas????

Registered Member
    Member No: 73627 bpepper19 is an unknown quantity at this point bpepper19's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: No wasn't me.

I forgot you had a Violet one. I didn't even put my winters on this year. I took my car into RCTS Reimer Consulting the other day to have an inspection before the warranty was up(it turned up good). Anyways they had an e46 M3 in there getting a Dinan Supercharger installed for $20,000 US. This guy already had the whole Dinan suspension on there, I bet he had $40,000 into this thing. Ridiculous. Maybe you should try checking these guys out, they seem to know what they are doing.

HurtinUnit

Yes | No

wow thanks for the lead! -->

I could be on the verge of making the jump to full time self-employment. My company has been invited to present to some angel investors next tuesday. If we jump through the hoops I may be on a path to make some similar modifications to my car, hopefully within the next 12 months or so.

I can't stop thinking about active autowerke's twin-screw supercharger system for the E36..

Twin screw system

Check out the torque curve on the graphs at the bottom, and how closely they mimic the stock curves.

These guys might be trustworthy enough to do the install... kewl!

Registered Member
    Member No: 65692 TaylorM is an unknown quantity at this point TaylorM's Avatar

Yes | No

before you go the forced induction route you'll

want to do some very thorough research into what else you'll have to upgrade on your car to handle all that extra torque/ponies. I'm not familiar enough with yr M3's stock bits to be sure but here's a starter list:
    1) Clutch.... I've heard of stock BMW clutches (which are damn good clutches) failing within 2 weeks of a turbo install
    2) Head gasket & head studs .... 6.5 psi is a pretty modest boost but the Stage II 9 psi is starting to get there. I would recommend an MLS gasket and ARP studs .. pricey but a HG blowing suddenly can cause some serious engine damage requiring a very big bucks re build
    3) new Motor mounts
    4) new urethane filled Sub frame bushings (I'm not sure your car has sub frame bushings so just ignore this if not)
    5) Is your diff up to it ? Your stock gear box ?
    6) Heat dispersal ... is your stock system up to shedding the considerably higher heat that a super charged engine is going to produce ? Do you need to consider an extra fan or thicker core rad ?

Talk to the folks selling that kit about all of the above before you make the leap. Almost none of the sites flogging forced induction kits mention all the other stuff that might need to be done because they're scared to spook potential buyers as they start to do the real sums of what these upgrades can cost.

I think you should also do a leakdown test of your motor to check its general health before proceeding .
    What's the compression ratio of your engine ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 114471 HurtinUnit is an unknown quantity at this point HurtinUnit's Avatar

Yes | No

Very wise post. Thanks -->

Active has been in business for a long time, and has many 600+ hp cars bombing around the USA. While I would certainly not omit the proper due-diligence, their company gives me confidence that they've thought this process through.

But your point about them not disclosing the other items needing upgrade is certainly valid. Some time would need to be spent talking with other owners/mechanics before a real estimate could be made.

I don't anticipate getting away with this for less than $25k, if I decided to do it. And when you're talking that kind of money, I'd need to be able to convince myself I'd be happy with the car for a while.

Basically, it'd be either do something like this, shop around for a cherry E39 M5 or look into an Audi RS4. I don't know yet. good thing I have some time :)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Very wise post. Thanks -->

I'd love to find a nice e39 M5, but it will have to wait a year or two, and I don't really want to get rid of my M3, so I'd try to have both. My friend is getting a new RS4 when they get here, they said it will probably be around July.

Reg Reimer seems like a really good guy, he does push the Dinan products but he seems to know his stuff. He has an e36 M3(4 door), I think as a daily driver.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: wow thanks for the lead! -->

There is a guy on the e46 M3 board that has had a bunch of issues with his AA SC. I don't know if it was their fault or if it was the installer , but it has been going on for a while. Just make sure you do lots of research.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information