+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 21699 metzger is an unknown quantity at this point metzger's Avatar

Yes | No

Brembo brake squeal problems help?

Sportsfans:

My '02 came with Brembo brakes installed by the first owner. I'm getting some incredibly annoying squealing. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side rear, so this weak I replaced the pads on the rears with Hawk HPS pads, the backs of which I first treated with Noise Free, an anti-squeal compound. This had exactly no effect on the squealing. This suggests to me that the problem must be in the front brakes, even if it sounded as if it was coming from the rear. Anything else that I should be checking? Thanks for any help you can provide.

MikeMike Metzger
    2002 Z8 (silver/black)
    2006 650 sport coupe (silver gray/chateau)

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Brembo brake squeal problems help?

You should immediately replace the front pads with the same type used in the rear! Assuming the Hawk pads are less prone to squealing, this may eliminate your noise problem. Much more important, however, is to have the same coefficient of friction in the front and rear pads otherwise you could experience significant instability under hard braking. Also, make sure you put the new pads through a proper break-in procedure before relying on them. This can make a big difference in their performance and their tendency to squeal. I don't know what condition your rotors are in but you should always check their condition before changing to new pads. If they have noticeable grooves worn into the surface, they should be resurfaced or replaced. Most high performance pads have a tendency to squeal so if the noise persists and you can't live with it, you may have to use an OE type street pad. Hope this helps.Grease Monkey

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks!

I intend to use Hawk pads on the front too. I've used them before (e46 M3 with Euro drilled discs) without squealing problems. Rotors look fine.Mike Metzger
    2002 Z8 (silver/black)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks!

Mike Metzger
    2002 Z8 (silver/black)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information