+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 28368 bhola is an unknown quantity at this point bhola's Avatar

Yes | No

likes and dislikes

Guys,what are your likes and dislikes about the e30 m3? Try and be as honest as you can.If money was no object what would you try and improve on,if anything?

scrv1

Yes | No

Re: likes and dislikes

Mark M

Yes | No

Good question, but difficult.....

Ok, there are many things that come to mind that would be great to change and I will list them. However, we must not forget one of the great attractions to this car is its racing heritage and soul. By soul I mean the bvasic ingrediants that BMW M designed into it from its birth. So let's recognize that making drastic changes to the car will decrease that allure as one of the true homologation specials.

Changes I would consider:

First, I would never dump the S14 engine. This is too core to the overal DNA of the car. However, it is in need of more zoom to keep up with today's 500hp+ cars. I would add head work, cams, Alpha N, 48mm throttle bodies, and one of those sexy carbon fiber boxes. Those changes are likely for another 40hp.

Second, let's take advantage of those added ponies by putting this lil demon on a diet! Shave off weight to gain acceleration! The chosen diet is your choice, how much can you live without? A/C (65 pounds alone), stereo, sound proofing, trunk tool kit, trunk matting, spare tire, interior seats and panels (lightweight race seats instead). Roughly, each 100 pounds weight lost is the acceleration equivilent to 4% more horsepower. Example, stock E30 M3 at 2650 pounds with 205hp = 12.9 pounds per hp. Drop 100 pounds, 2550 with 205 hp = 12.4 pounds per hp. A 4% improvement.

Sidenote, no wonder today's cars need 500hp, they are all fat and heavy!

Third, I'd like to take advantage of 2006 technology and engineer electric power steering pump, electric water pump, and higher amp alternator with bushings that last. Thus equating to less parasitic drag on the motor. Install an e36 M3 steering rack. Add brighter headlights. Perhaps xenon.

Forth, time to upgrade the brakes. When motorsport designed the car they overlooked this chore in favor of economy. They simply raided the 5 series parts bin and bolted em on. Come on Motorsport boys...give me serious binders! I want to feel my harness holding me back everytime I jack on the brakes! So, bigger brakes are in order!

Fifth, suspension upgrades for this car are like toilet tissue. Hundreds of options, but comes down to what feels best for your [Oops!]. I currently have H&R Sport springs with Bilstein sport shocks and Ireland sway bars. It has drastically reduced body roll, but it is harsh. For now I like it, but it lacks adjustability. For that reason I feel ground control is one of the best on the market.

Lastly, I would love some lightweight period correct 17" rims. Similar to the BBS Type 5s.

So, as we see, some changes listed above add function or performance to the car, but they alter that core DNA. Depending on your intended use of the car that is cool. However, deviate from that DNA too drastically and you no longer have a rare collectable E30 M3, instead you have a fun backyard engineering project.

Mark M

Registered Member
    Member No: 32557 nkochary is an unknown quantity at this point nkochary's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: likes and dislikes

I love everyting about it... and things that I don't like are more reason for me to like it... I know this sounds weird. But the raw, buzzing, uncivilized sound that comes off of that car makes it even more appealing.

--------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information