+ Reply to Thread
    NC

Yes | No

Intake Camshaft Sensor Help!

I need to replace my intake camshaft sensor on my 2001 325i.

I have search everywhere for a DIY and found them but I am totally lost.

First, I am not even sure I have the right part. The dealer looked it up an gave me part number 12 14 7 539 165. The plug looks "different" from some diagrams posted on the net but I think they are talking about the exhaust sensor.

Second, these directions

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/archive/index.php/t-245059.html

mention the VANOS solenoid and I have NO IDEA what that is?? I guess I will have to buy a Bentley Guide (which I have tried but seems on backorder everywhere!)

I am pretty much stuck. I think I will have to buy a Bentley Guide for this "simple repair"

So far i have spent near 300$ on this problem (an error code reader, new tools, the part) and can look forward to spending another 125$ for the guide. I still rather fix it myself since everytime I go to the dealer, something new breaks!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Shop around. Yes, the Bentley seems to be

backordered, and I got an email from a vendor expressing the sentiment that "who knows when the printer will ship more?", but you can get a deal following this post:Other post
    But it sounds like you can't wait for another printing. Great reason to just buy one for the future.

330Lover

Yes | No

My little Intake Camshaft sensor diy...

I had a same problem and here is my little diy.
    There is only 1 page talk about Intake Camshaft sensor in Bentley manual.

Here are my steps:
    1). The Intake Camshaft sensor is located left side of the oil filter. The other end of the sensor(the harness) is located under the intake manifold. So you need to remove the air filter and the air filter box. Also disconnect electrical harness connector on mass air flow sensor

2). Now you remove this

3). And remove this and even the oil cap and filter so you have enough space to remove the sensor. You don't have to remove all these if you think you have enough space to work with.

4). Remove the Intake Camshaft sensor. I used Hex key but don't remember the side (6mm may be).

5). Remove the sensor harness under the intake manifold. It is kind of hard to see and find but you will find it.

6). Install the new sensor, put all things back and you are done.
    7). The "service engine soon" light will be gone after few short trips.

Good luck and let us know.

01' 330ia, bk/bk, moon, cd, xenon, 18x8 ASA AR1, Axxis brake pad, Eibach springs

Registered Member
    Member No: 20384 edhchoe is an unknown quantity at this point edhchoe's Avatar

Yes | No

part number is different...

Registered Member
    Member No: 20384 edhchoe is an unknown quantity at this point edhchoe's Avatar

Yes | No

You have the right part.

tgc328i

Yes | No

Re: My little Intake Camshaft sensor diy...

Great writeup 330L -- thanks for the info.

bimmerdon

Yes | No

cam sensor

I can get you an intake cam sensor for 79.00 plus shipping.

Let me know,

[email protected]

tim

Yes | No

Thanks for this information and as repairing, we seemed to break the "this" in picture 2. What is "this" and is there a way to repair or does it need to be fully replaced? Worried about being an at home job since i can find the end/start to the pipe....any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

s. smolen

Yes | No

Thanks,
    I replaced the position sensor in about 40 minutes. It was my first attempt. The images were very helpful. Thank you again!!!
    Steve

jayb

Yes | No

Just completed the exact job today DONE, see

my post. The pictures for the procedure are excellent and allowed me to do entire job without any questions. However, it did take me much longer than 40 minutes. Had to go buy a 5 mm allen socket, a must for me, must take off cap of oil filter to have room to get allen socket in place. Vanos must come off to get to 5 mm allen bolt. Take off the air filter and all the housing--and the base to give you room at the plug end. Don't forget to use loctite on the 5 mm threads when putting it back--tube cost about $4. You can have my tube, I am done. If you are in the neighborhood, I will give you a hand since now I been through it. Next time it should take me less than 1.5 hours. DO NOT FORGET TO buy a new gasket for the end the goes into the engine on top.

jayb

Yes | No

STUCK--so you say.. I suggest to most people

that you would not have problems with doing this CPS intake switch. However, that is assuming you read the posts on this site and understand what they say. The sites that have pictures are excellent, and much better than Bentley's--so no need to buy the $100 manual for this.
    When someone says they are STUCK before they even begin is of concern. Not knowing you, I would suggest that you honestly evaluate your abilities to do this. Although not hard it is more difficult than changing a window shield wiper on the car.
    Perhaps I can give you some guidance whether you should do this or not. Answer the following questions.
    1. Have you ever changed the headlight bulb on your car?
    2. Have you ever done an oil change?
    3. Have you changed a tire?
    4. Do you own a socket set?
    5. Do you know what an allen wrench is? An open end wrench?
    6. Do you know what 5mm means?
    7. Do you know where the oil filter is on your car?
    8. Do you know the difference between a phillips and regular screw driver?
    9. Have you ever gotten auto grease on your hands from doing work on the car?
    10. Do you like working with your hands doing things like automechanics, plumbing or woodwork?
    11. Are you handy around the house?
    12. Someone else will add this one:

IF THE ANSWER TO ONE OF the above is NO, I would reconsider whether you should do this work. If the ANSWERS are NO to 2 or more of the above I would not proceed with this work unless you have an assistant who know what they are doing. OTHERWISE--I bet you can do it.

djbrock

Yes | No

this?

I too broke the "this" while replacing the sensor. It was rather brittle plastic that snapped. Anybody know what the "this" is and if so, how to replace it?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 64.183.10.222

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information