+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 36477 XZLR8 is an unknown quantity at this point XZLR8's Avatar

Yes | No

Homelink Frustration

Okay, so I've been programming Homelink in cars for a long time (rolling codes, etc.), so I don't know what the deal is since we purchased the 3 wagon. We have a double garage door that I have always programmed into one of the Homelink slots on all three of our vehicles, since we tend to move things around a lot. Before purchasing the 3 wagon, we just had two BMWs and one car from another manufacturer. Now, for the first time since we've been at this house with this garage, we have three BMWs.

That's the background. Here's my problem.

My 745 and 650 were already programmed with the Homelink to open the (rolling code) garage door in slot #1. I programmed the 325 to open the same door, also in slot #1, and it programmed successfully. However, after programming the 325, my 650 was no longer programmed. I made sure that the car was not close by when I was programming the 3, but it still cleared it out. Then, my wife took the 3 for a drive and I reprogrammed the 6's Homelink, only to find the 3's Homelink was cleared when she returned home. I tried a variety of different things after that (using the 745, etc.) and never have been able to get more than two cars programmed at once. One car ALWAYS clears.

As I said before, I've had three vehicles programmed for this double door before, but never three BMWs. I also tried using different Homelink slots, but that still didn't work. I'm not sure what else to try. Can you NOT have three BMWs programmed for the same Homelink door?
    '05 BMW 745i Sport (TiSilver/Black)
    '06 BMW 650i Coupe (TiSilver/Black)
    '06 BMW 325xiT (SpGraphite/Beige)

Registered Member
    Member No: 23537 MR-X5 is an unknown quantity at this point MR-X5's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Homelink Frustration

I have 3 cars as well, 2 bimmers and Merc, but issues with homelink...------------------------------------------------------------
    2001 BMW X5 4.4i black on black - SOLD
    2003 Mercedes-Benz G500 black on black
    2004 BMW 530iA black sapphire on auburn
    2006 Audi A3 3.2Q S-line Silver on black SOLD
    2006 BMW 330xi black saphire onn terra

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Obvious solution get rid of one BMW:)

Now I have a TOTAL number limit of 7 units (car and / or hand held). My brand is OVERHEAD DOOR. Could you have hand helds that are also included?

I did not see anything here to limit the number. Do not know if these give any more useful info.

http://www.eurohomelink.com/_uk/popup_programming.html

or contact info here:

http://www.homelink.com/contact/contact.taf

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'll check out the information, thanks.

I do have two handheld units also (the two that came with the door). The odd thing is my total number of vehicles hasn't changed. I just traded my Lexus SUV for the new 3 wagon. Prior to the trade, we had the Lexus and both of my BMWs (7 and 6) programmed in addition to the handhelds. Now that we have the 325, one is always getting ditched.

But again, I appreciate the info.

Registered Member
    Member No: 46312 asstdean is an unknown quantity at this point asstdean's Avatar

Yes | No

siilar problem

My 650 and the wall button are the only things that will open the door anymore- neither the Volvo nor the handhelds work. Have lived with it for about 3 months now. : )

Registered Member
    Member No: 124581 noblecasa is an unknown quantity at this point noblecasa's Avatar

Yes | No

What color are the BMW's?

Perhaps it's possible that the wavelengths emitted from each of the BMW's is interfering with the Homelink transmitter.;

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

maybe try this

When all three cars are at home re-teach all of them at once and see if that changes anything.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That's it!

It's my wife's fault for breaking my long-standing Titanium Silver BMW tradition with her new wagon.

Finally, a way to blame her for this whole fiasco.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Someone on the E65 board...

... recommended that I clear out (reset) all of the codes stored in the main overhead unit and start over, as I may have reached my limit since I trade so often. That also sounds very reasonable.

I didn't have time to mess with it tonight, but maybe I'll try it tomorrow evening.

I really do appreciate everyone's input.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Someone on the E65 board...

Yep, just pulled my instructions and it was 7 max. It suggest erasing all receiver memory and starting over to reprogram each remaining transmitter. I am at the max now and will have to remember this. I'm glad now I did not program a 745 I had for a loaner
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

----- UPDATE -----

I finally did take the time to "reset" the main overhead unit of my garage door and that seems to have done the trick. I was able to program all three cars successfully. As suggested, that must have been the problem.

Many thanks for everyone's input!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: ----- UPDATE -----

Glad it worked out for u. And good to know.
    _______

Registered Member
    Member No: 111909 sweet545 is an unknown quantity at this point sweet545's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: ----- UPDATE -----

I had the same problem. This solution worked. Thanks for the insight everyone

Registered Member

Yes | No

Glad it worked for you too.

Mostly, I'm just thrilled to have my greatest problem with a garage full of BMWs be a simple Homelink issue. We've come a long way.

Knock on wood.

Scott

Yes | No

If you have trouble programming 2 or more Homelink cars you may need to erase all the codes in your opener and reprogram all the transmitters. My Genie held 7 codes and I must have exceeded that number. It took about 30 minutes to reprogram all our transmitters and cars.

Frustrated with Homelink
    Member No: Frustrated with Homelink's Avatar

Yes | No

How did you even get the 2nd car to program without wiping out the first one? I programeed my Jeep to my Homelink and then my Nissan wouldn't work. I programmed the Nissan and then the Jeep wouldn't work! And now neither of the remotes will work either! What am I doing wrong?

User Level 1
    Member No: 191076 bukzin is an unknown quantity at this point bukzin's Avatar

Yes | No
    Is HomeLink a home automation system, like X-10 ? Are you using it for a garage door opener?

Is it a BMW option or add-on?

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.208.88.133

Walkthrough

Yes | No

Same problem, the reprogramming worked, here is a walkthrough

I found this thread in July 2013 when I found two lowly Dodges had the same problem with a Genie rolling code opener. Be sure to read your owner manual for vehicle-specific clearing/training for the Homelinks. I'll cite two examples, #1 a 1998 Durango and #2 a 2009 Challenger.

This should work:
    1. Hold down the learn button on the door opener until the red LED flashes rapidly. It will seem like a long time, probably around 20-30 seconds. This clears the opener's memory.
    2. I used two handheld remotes to program, one for each vehicle. You must use one of these to train your Homelink. I'm not sure if you can use the same one, so I used two remotes. I may have this out of order, you may be able to train the Homelinks before you cycle the doors, but what I wrote here worked for me.
    3. For remote #1, press the opener learn button on the opener, then the button on the remote you want to use for that door. Press the remote button again (if you can watch the opener LED, you should see it go from flashing to solid). A third press will turn off the opener LED. A 4th press should work the opener.
    4. I then used remote #1 to program vehicle #1. I held down the outside two Homelink buttons to clear all codes. On vehicle #1 there was an LED that flashed faster once cleared, vehicle #2 had a dash message in the vehicle info center.
    5. To train the Homelink button for vehicle #1, at the same time I pressed and held both the programmed button on remote #1 AND the Homelink button I wanted to work this door. The door cycled while doing this since this remote was trained. On vehicle #1 I got a LED training confirmation by rapid flashes, on vehicle #2 a "trained" message on the info center.
    6. I then activated the learn button on the opener again, and pressed the Homelink button I had trained a total of 4 times and the door cycled.
    7. Repeat steps 4~6 using remote #2 for vehicle #2.

Your mileage may vary, but this should do the trick. Hope it helps another frustrated Homelink user in the future!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.253.137.190

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information