+ Reply to Thread
    Keddie

Yes | No

98 Porsche Boxster Blue Smoke Start

Ok guys anyone had this issue. One day completely out of the blue my Boxster upon starting sends a hellatious amount of "blueish" smoke into the air. This continues for 30 to 60 sec and then quits or stops when taking off. I have it scheduled to go into the shop tomorrow but with all the engine blowing stories on this forum I am wondering if this is a good time to trade this puppy in on something else?

Thanks

Keddie

[email protected]

Jenrainey

Yes | No

Re: 98 Porsche Boxster Blue Smoke Start

I just had this problem. I was ready to trade it in, but did some research and found that this is not uncommon in the Boxter. Turns out it was an Oil Separator. The part was $136 from the Porsche dealership. My husband did the repairs himself. Just got the car on the road today. Runs great!

Mike

Yes | No

I have had the same problem........an embarrassing amount of blue smoke from time to time. Every time I bring in for servicing I make that apparent in the service report. I have been told it is
    common in the boxter engine.

SRR2

Yes | No

Yep. They all do that. (Really)

Tyler

Yes | No

Has the $136 part kept this problem from reoccuring 100%? My '97 started doing this at 40k miles on startup every 8 or 10 starts, I don't like those odds. Makes me very upset for a car that people stare at due to the design, but it will become something that they would stare at due to the amount of smoke you usually see from an '89 frikkin' Caravan...
    This seems unacceptable from a car company I've obsessed over since I can remember. Finally get one, and find out this crap. Between the initial hefty pricetag and the raping you get for the cost of an oil change (which I do on or before scheduled service intervals) this should not be happening. I'm about to go trade in on the caravan, at least people expect it out of that.
    A good site for 986 Boxster info is this: http://www.986faq.com/
    It also explains common problem areas (smoke during startup is one of them) which explains that it is typical and nothing to worry about. I spoke with a Porsche tech and he explained that it's how the boxer engine is designed, so even a brand new 911 will experience it from time to time due to the way the oil settles in a boxer engine, it gets burned off every once in awhile when you start the car, thus leading me to believe that there is no fix and Porsche is o.k. with occasional embarrasment generally associated with higher mileage vehicles costing less than a house.

Danny

Yes | No

Well I have a '04 with 26k miles and mine has started doing it. Mine's a GT550 model and I paid a lot of money for it. Great car but this aspect is a little worrying. I have had the oil seperator changed once by Porsche (under warranty) but now the car is out of warranty and it has started doing it again. It does look bad - but by the sounds of things - it is fairly common. I don't even push my car that hard all the time!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 155558 redboxster01 is an unknown quantity at this point redboxster01's Avatar

Yes | No

just had that huge cloud happen to me on my 2000 boxster with 72,000miles.it seem like a batman movie with the cloud screen for about 30 seconds.gonna check that oil separator this week.love the car,hate the smoke!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information