+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 118950 billings88 is an unknown quantity at this point billings88's Avatar

Yes | No

power antenna problems - sorry long

Hello everyone,

My antenna stopped retracting all the way about two weeks ago. It would retract all the antenna except for the last (largest) piece. Well...last night was a nice night so I took out the trunk lining to see what is going on and then took the antenna out of the "power unit". the antenna was dirty so I cleaned it and tried to insert it back in the the power unit - to no avail. the toothed cord was way to curled (from so many years of being curled up) to get it back in to the power unit. So, I went to take the power unit out and noticed a problem. At the top of the power unit mast there is a threaded "nut" (for lack of a better term) that clamps the power unit to the antenna support on the top side of the exterior sheetmetal. This threaded nut looks like very old dirty aluminum or pot metal - which I find hard to imagine. This threaded nut also has the stereo antenna hook up threaded to it. Well, the problem is that this threaded nut is broken. Split in half horizontally. So, I cannot correctly install the power unit back into the car without a good threaded nut. Does anyone have this nut I can purchase from them, or a part number for it so I may order from BMW.

Also, if I cannot get the antenna back into the power unit from outside the car (threading it throught the sheet metal grommet and into the power unit installed below) do I need a new antenna that is not so permanantly curled? Put another way, can the whole assembly, power unit and antenna, be installed in the car as a single piece or do they need to be separated to get correctly installed.

Please forgive my long windedness and thanks in advance.

billings88

SHADYM5

Yes | No

Re: power antenna problems - sorry long

Call Steve Haygood.

Steve Haygood

Yes | No

email sent

Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

Can you send it to me too?

This is just another of those things on my spring time list... mine is stuck 2/3 of the way up ;-)

Michael

Steve Haygood

Yes | No

need an email

or call me

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information