+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 132170 jmarchun is an unknown quantity at this point jmarchun's Avatar

Yes | No

97 528i e39 Depo Xenon Angel Eyes instructions

I just installed a set of Depo Xenon Angel eyes in an e39 '97 528i. Since there weren't very good instructions on the web, this took me much much longer than I expected. I'd thought I'd do a quick write up so as to help any future lost souls....

Parts needed -
    Depo AE Xenons
    4 22-18 gauge wire snap connectors (from radio shack or whereever)
    4 tap-in squeeze quick splice connectors
    some 18-22 gauge wire

1. Uninstalling/Installing the headlights/lower mounting bracket- This part was pretty easy as is pretty much the same as the installing the Hella OEM lights and I was able to use those instructions. Good instructions are found at bmwtips.com, so I won't repeat. Remember to pull out the turn signal lights carefully as I broke one of the plastic sockets doing this.

On the install, I didn't find a good place for the ignitors and ballasts. I ended up zip tying them to flat spots. I also have a set of the OEM Hella Xenons, and they have a mouting bracket to hold the ballasts at the back of the lights. I wish the depo set had these. Also, the set comes with big rubber covers that cover the backs of the housing. To get the wires from the bulbs, I cut small holes in the center to pull the wire through. If there is a better way, maybe someone could chime in as my guess is that the seal is not perfect....

As a safety precaution, you may want to unplug the battery!

2. Wiring - This is where it got a little confusing as there were no instructions at all - Basically the Depo lights came with the Angel eyes and xenon DS2 bulb already installed.

1st the xenon low beam wiring. Basically the plugs only work a certain way, but it goes from the Car's Low beam pre-built socket (I think its a 9006 socket) to the ballast to the ignitor to the Xenon bulb in the low housing.

2nd the high beam. Pretty straight forward as it goes from the high beam wire & socket from the car straight to the 9006 socket for the high beam.

Note: IGNORE the 9006 connector in the middle on the outside. I think Depo made these lights to house either a xenon bulb or a standard 9006 halogen bulb, and my thinking is that the middle 9006 connector connects to the dual prong plug that is inside the low beam housing that you don't use with the xenon application. I can't confirm this, but everything works without either the outside 9006 plug or the inside plug attached to anything.

Finally the harder part - the Angel Eyes. So this is the part that took me a little longer. With the Depo AE wires, I also ordered the hella adapter for making the Y connection as outline on BMWtips. For some reason, my 97 528i doesn't have the round twist turn indicator socket that is found on my '99 540i, but rather it has a socket with two clips on it this also means that is has a different plug so the hella connectors were totally wrong for making the Y adaptor.

So in order to get the AE wiring to work, I had to wire my own set. The basic summary is to connect the parking light wire (from the 3 wire turn signal indicator) to the black and white wires with snap in plugs located inside the low beam housing. These wires power the angel eyes.

I first built two wires (about 4-6 inches each) per side with one having a female snap conenctor, and one having a male (I got these from radio shack). I made sure the snap connectors fit into their respective plugs inside the low beam housing that light the AEs. You may have to fish around in the low beam housing to find these wires (don't touch the xenon low bulbs I'm assuming) but there is one black one and one white one that come from a black box near the bottom.

Using the quick splice connectors, I attached the plug/wire that I made that connects the black (ground) AE wire to the brown (ground) wire on the turn signal indicator.

Secondly I attached the grey/green(or blue depending on the side- see the bmwtips for the correct wiring reference) to the white Angel eye wire which is the positive. I then turned everything on to check that the lights worked and they did.

As a final step, I cut the spliced wire above the splice so that the bulb in the turn indicator light with the parking light does not light. This is optional, but replicates the OEM look. I then put the side bulbs back in and taped everything up.

If anyone has any better guidance on where to place the ballast/ignitors, I'd appreciate the guidance.

Anyways, hope this helps someone else out, basically the procedure is similar to the BMWTIPS reference, but the hella wiring is a bit different from the Depo wiring. BTW I now have a box of the Hella Y connectors (not yet built) that I will sell for cheap ;)

Registered Member
    Member No: 79322 githinjis is an unknown quantity at this point githinjis's Avatar

Yes | No

What's the difference between these and Hella xeno

xenon AE. I'm considering upgrading my 97 528i with Halogen to Xenon AE. Tought of buying Hella OEM xenon AE from umnitza. How do you compare them to Depo xenon AE?

http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?products_id=1095&osCsid=2e116cc9e5f8e0c08828271744cbeb0f

Thanks.

Chi.

Paublo Diablo

Yes | No

Re: 97 528i e39 Depo Xenon Angel Eyes instruction

Hi,

I have just purchased a 97 BMW 528i that came with Xenon lights, they appear to be OEM but I cant say for sure. Anyway the problem with them is that the dash warning system is showing the the headlight bulbs are blown. Now when I turn on the headlights they work just fine and the warning goes away. If I turn the headlights off then the warning comes back after a few minutes. I wonder if the Xenon lights are coming to the end of their serviceable life, or if the system is not creating the needed resistance which the computer in turn is then triggering the warning. If this Xenon problem is not an easy fix I will be happy to switch the system to regular lighting if that cures it. Is any one else having the same or similar problem? If so do you know what is the fix?

Thanks, Paublo Diablo

Ghost3420

Yes | No

Re: 97 528i e39 Depo Xenon Angel Eyes instructions

when u say you cut the spliced wire above the splice so that the bulb in the turn indicator light with the parking light does not light. witch wire are you talking about? the grey/ green going to the bulb? I would really appreciate your help

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information