+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 44830 zachterbahn is an unknown quantity at this point zachterbahn's Avatar

Yes | No

Poll: New Z8 - like it or not?

rjay

Yes | No

not really

Registered Member
    Member No: 21699 metzger is an unknown quantity at this point metzger's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Poll: New Z8 - like it or not?

Not as distinctive in appearance as the one we've got.Mike Metzger
    2002 Z8 (silver/black)
    2006 650 sport coupe (silver gray/chateau)

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Tarted-up Z4

Given the high production number and relatively low pricing, this obviously wouldn't be a hand-built car like the Z8. The styling is nothing more than a tarted-up Z4 with some of Bangle's bungles smoothed over. This really should be called a Z5-Z6-Z7 since it would not be a worthy successor, in any sense of the word, to the magnificent Z8. The only car BMW might pass off as a next generation Z8 would be a limited production mid-engined supercar with a V-10, drawings of which have been published in the past. In my opinion, the Z8 represents the high water mark in a front-engined, rear drive, two seat sports car from BMW and there is no way they can legitimately replace it without a radical departure from the past. Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 16784 pandaman is an unknown quantity at this point pandaman's Avatar

Yes | No

NO

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

I don't believe it- too close to the Z4

Michael

Yes | No

Tarted and improved

Registered Member
    Member No: 112123 Z8NY is an unknown quantity at this point Z8NY's Avatar

Yes | No

Makes me happy to know...

...that the value of my car can only appreciate if they build this thing. Wow, do they miss Henrik or what?

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Makes me happy to know...

Can you imagine where BMW would be today if they had put Henrik in charge of design instead of Mr. Bungle? Not only would they have technologically superior offerings as they do now, they would have stunning designs as well. What a combination! Given the current high level of competition, BMW can't afford to saddle themselves with designs that are controversial at best, and downright awkward at their worst. If this is the best they can do as a replacement for the exquisite Z8, the future does not look bright. Grease Monkey

Registered Member

Yes | No

2005 was not a good year for BMW

Both sales and net income were down over 10%. It seems like upper management has dug in its heels and has decided to ride the Bangle Express straight into the ground. They are determined to prove to everyone that their angular styling was way ahead of the curve and they're just waiting for all of us to catch up.

A shame really. I have zero interest in buying another BMW. That said, my wife kinda digs the new 7-series.

FWK-z3

Yes | No

No

The magic of the real Z8 is its common heritage with the 507. This pretender doesn't have it. The real Z8 and 507 are beautiful in their cat-like lightness. The pretender is heavy and dull. If I wanted a tin top that sucked itself into the trunk, I'd buy a '57 Ford.

From the 2002 to the Z8 - the last good looking car BMW built, BMW's were designed to look like they were meant to be driven - light, lots of glass, and an elegant collection of simple, functional shapes. I still have my '96 Z3 and an MG TF. I have referred to the Z3 as a 3 dimensional conversation between the owner and designer about the great sportscars of the past. When you parkj the Z3 and TF next to one another, the Z3 is a modern interpretation of it, just as the Z8 is a modern interpretation of the 507. The rear of the 507 was weak, and Fisker made up for this by borrowing one of the nicest rumps ever put on a car - that of the Jaguar e-Type.

BMWs used to protray an image of engineering and automotive athleticism that is lost in the current models, that look like tarted-up Toyotas. The "fake 8" is anonymous - it could be anything - just put a different grille on it - PLEASE.

Registered Member
    Member No: 121281 robz82001 is an unknown quantity at this point robz82001's Avatar

Yes | No

Wouldn't even remotely consider buying it........

....the Z8 was the high water mark for BMW (at least style-wise). To be honest, I have never been overly excited about mmost BMW designs until I saw the Z8. Nothing really excited me before....and looks like with their current design focus.....nothing will get me excited in the future. The relatively recent controversy over styling is NOT A GOOD THING for BMW. And I do not recall that being an issue in the past. BMW F'd up big time.

Registered Member
    Member No: 41339 joea2 is an unknown quantity at this point joea2's Avatar

Yes | No

BMW wins by default?

[IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 76826 Z8nin is an unknown quantity at this point Z8nin's Avatar

Yes | No

comparable..........NOT

Nice Try !!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Lucky for me I'm the one who buys the cars.

And I won't be buying a 7-series. I'm more of an Audi guy anyway.

Interestingly, my wife doesn't really like driving the Z8. She thinks that its too masculine looking. We used to have a 911 Targa and she drove that all the time because it was "cute".

She's happy to be a passenger in the Z8 she just doesn't think she looks right driving it on her own. Lucky me again.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Lucky for me I'm the one who buys the cars.

I presume you're referring to the current 7-series and I couldn't agree more. However, the next generation 7-series is a ground up re-design and is very handsome in the way BMWs used to be. I can only assume Mr. Bungle was on vacation when this design was approved. Due out in 2009.Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 41339 joea2 is an unknown quantity at this point joea2's Avatar

Yes | No

Get her a DB9!!!

[IMG]

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yeah, my 3yr old will enjoy spilling his sippy cup

...on the leather and grinding cheerios between the seats. I wonder if Aston Martin makes a special kiddie seat for the back.

GM, I just googled up the spy photos of the 2009 7-Series and while I agree that it looks better than the current version it doesn't look like much of a departure from the current Audi A8 and kind of reminds me of a Lexus with a Saab rear end. Is that really the best they can do?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Yeah, my 3yr old will enjoy spilling his sippy

Without Henrik on board, and with the Bangle legacy not yet dead, the answer is yes. As for the similarities in its design, keep in mind that with the newly enacted European pedestrian crash standards which mandate a very specific front end design on all new cars, it is going to be very difficult for auto manufacturers to do anything too radical and I suspect most new cars are going to look a lot alike. BMW designs have traditionally been rather conservative yet tasteful and I think that is the best we can hope for. Consider the current alternative and I think the next-gen 7-series is a step in the right direction.Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 61998 JJF is an unknown quantity at this point JJF's Avatar

Yes | No

Love it.

2005 X5 4.8is
    Imola Red/ Creme
    2002 ///M Roadster
    Alpine White/ Imola Red/ Black Top

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information