+ Reply to Thread
    bruce in Montreal

Yes | No

rear clunking noise .. new thread..

I have been driving a volvo all winter with a rear noise drivine me crazy, yesterday I put the summers wheels on and as soon as I popped off the hubcap ! I knew the answer.
    For the first time in 10 years I paid someone to put the winter wheels on.. and under the hubcap....... a locking wheel nut..

Immediately I wondered where the special tool was to remove the locking nut and gueses it must be rattling around under the spare...

I cant believe that even the simplest of jobs can be screwed up by someone else not caring about it. I suffered all winter with the rattle because the jacka55 just tossed the tool under the trunk mat.

what a didifference

Bruce

Registered Member
    Member No: 115809 ilovecow is an unknown quantity at this point ilovecow's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: rear clunking noise .. new thread..UPDATE

ok, for my update.

As it turns out, I'm 95% positive my clunking & rattling noise was caused by the jackstand in the rear left side of the trunk. I didn't think it was that because before all that, I took all the tools out, put in padding everywhere, put everything back, and tightened everything. The noise was still there. This past weekend I took everything out again and didn't put them back. Drove the car around over bumps and on the highway. Major difference. NO MORE RATTLING!!! However, I do still hear some little rattling every so often, but it's definitely not as bad as before.

Now my only question is how do I put back the jackstand and secure it tight enough so it doesn't make any noises!

SHADYM5

Yes | No

Re: rear clunking noise .. new thread..UPDATE

This thread is actually kinda of funny.

Shady

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

LOL

Yup, I guess it's better than a beer bottle tho, eh?
    '87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

wjosh

Yes | No

From the top of my head -

I assume you are talking about the factory jack. I am shooting from the hip here off memory as mine is not at the house tonight.

On the drivers side trunk you will need to remove the interior carpet for the side of the trunk. There you will notice a threaded rod sticking out. The jack has a hole in the middle of it that you put on this rod and a wing nut that tightens it down once the jack is in place. The "long" part of the jack goes toward the front of the vehicle with the base down.

That is what I remember, but it has been a long time since I've accessed that.

Hope that helps, if I remember I will take a picture next time I am at the car. (have it at the storage place while I restore that bad boy).

wjosh

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

Naw, just a brace that tightens poorly against it.

'87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

Bruce in Manhattan Beach
    Member No: Bruce in Manhattan Beach's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: LOL

. . . . only if the beer bottle is empty . . . .

Bruce

Yes | No

funny the bottles dont rattle on the plush carpet.

better to keep them in the cockpit... as far as noises..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information