+ Reply to Thread
    Michael

Yes | No

Er... which Octane to use in California?

Folks, I read the manual and searched this forum and still can't figure out the minimum octane for my 2000 M5. Chalk it up to a bad 6th grade experience, but can one of you help decipher what the manual says? If I run california 87 octane (lowest cost unleaded) and I going to cause problems? Must I pay for the 91 octane?

Thanks for your advice.

-Michael

NGS_M5

Yes | No

I assume the ECU would retard for 87, but use 91!

M5_ZZT

Yes | No

Re: Er... which Octane to use in California?

From many of the BMW technicians and service advisors I have spoken with, many of the infamous carbon build up problems with the M5 are caused by people not consistently using 91 octane gas from top tier refiners like Chevron, Shell, 76. Top tier is a voluntary formulation of gas with additional cleaning agents meeting cleaning guidelines defined by BMW, GM, Honda, and Toyota. I know in the Bay Area Chevron, Shell, and 76 meet these guidelines. The other cause is running the car when the SES light is on and not getting emissions components (sensors, etc) fixed promptly causing the ECU to run the fuel mixture too rich.

I say if you can't afford the 91 octane you really can't afford to drive the car unless you want to deal with the potentially very expensive maintenance costs that can occur by running cheap gas.

mike

Yes | No

according to the..

label in my gas door, the minimum octane requirement is 91 (R+M/2) without Pb. If the 20cents a gallon is an issue, you are certainly driving the wrong car, as the M5 is not cheap to run.
    Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 87079 greer is an unknown quantity at this point greer's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Er... which Octane to use in California?

"Must you pay for 91?" The E39 M5 is a high performance car, you will be paying alot for its maintenence over the years.

How long have you had your car?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information