+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Adrian

Yes | No

Wheel questions

Hello all,

I posted the below message in the Wheel and Tire section. I didn't get a response yet. I was wondering if any of you know if the e39 M5 rear axle dimensions are the same as the e39 530 sport? I would like to fit the rear M5 wheels but am worried that because of the offset I will have trouble fitting them. Thanks!

POSTED IN THE WHEEL TIRE FORUM:

Jim,

I have a chance to buy the M5 wheels Style 65. The front specs are 18x8 with 20mm offset, and rears are 18x9.5 with 22mm offset. The stock tire sizes are 245/40/18 ET 20mm for the front and 275/35/18 et22mm for the rear. I have a 2002 530i sport with the stock 17" wheels. two questions:

1. Would these wheels fit my car with the stock tire size or any other tires size that will fit the wheels?

2. What tire do you recommend. I have winter tires and wheels already. It is a daily driver and I will not track the car. So probably my requirements are a. Noise, b. comfort, c. performance.

Thanks Jim!

Registered Member
    Member No: 23941 ephillips is an unknown quantity at this point ephillips's Avatar

Yes | No

stock suspension? should fit

Try posting on the e39 board to be sure -- plenty of folks have done this and you should be able to get some first-hand feedback. But with stock suspension heights, there should be enough extra room around the fender lips. Lower the ride heights with different suspension and all bets are off.

Expect some slight degregation in noise and comfort with lower profile tires. Also, the OEM M5 wheels are not particularly light; you're likely going to add some weight over 17s.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but since you already have winter tires/wheels, you might want to consider putting max summer performance tires on your 17s -- might give you better performance than your current tires without any trade-offs (cheaper too).

Cheers. '01 M5

Adrian

Yes | No

Re: stock suspension? should fit

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.

regards,

adrian

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information