+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 139847 frabid is an unknown quantity at this point frabid's Avatar

Yes | No

2000 Boxster Check engine light

I have a 2000 boxster with only 21,000 miles. The check engine light has come on... anyone know of any common problems that can be checked? I hope it is nothing major...

Registered Member
    Member No: 139150 MRERIC is an unknown quantity at this point MRERIC's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2000 Boxster Check engine light

if it runs fine, drive it. Mine comes on randomly, andthen will turn off after about 100 miles. It usually turns on if I've been on the highway for a few hours then get to town and do stop and go. After about 2 stops, the light will click on, stay on for a while tan turn off until I drive for a few hours on highway again.

I've read tons of messages on other sites, and I would guess it has something to do with the emissions sensors, or something else not vitally important. the real only warning I've read is if there is smoke after startup now and wasn't before, or if it has gotten worse, it may be the oil seperator failing.

If the car is not performing any different, I woundn't stress about it.

You can always go to AutoZone, or somewhere similar and they'll read the car's code for you and tell you what the codes are saying for free... I did it and the guy told me to not even worry about it.

just my opininon, you could go to the dealer and pay $4,000 for them to tell you nothing is wrong (maybe a bit exaggerated) but I wouldn't.

Jeff

Yes | No

Hi Eric,

I had the CEL come on today and contacted Autozone and Pep Boys, neither of whom said they could check out my 01' Boxster. The car has a custom exhaust,cold flow intake, and has a computer chip- I'm thinking they could be triggering it. The car has no issues, do you have any options as to where I could get it checked out inexpensively?

Thanks,

Jeff

Chuck Denny

Yes | No

Jay,

The most common is the fuel filler cap is not sealed properly. As pressure changes upon using gasoline the fuel filler sensor gets triggered. I have a 1999 and the CEL has come on once the past 2 years. TEH instruction manual wil indicate this as well. It could also be an ignition or system sensor.

Dave

Yes | No

I have 2000 Boxter. My check engine light seems to come on whenever it wants to. I live in North Carolina and they have yearly auto inspections. Your car automatically fails the inspection if the light is on, so I was in a panic.

I had been running it at good speeds on the highway in my attempt to get the light to turn off as it had after a recent high-speed journey.

I called Autozone and they said they would check it out for me for free. Other auto stores will also do it for free. When the guy put it on the tester at the auto store, he was able to turn the light off. I quickly got the car inspected and it passed just fine.

Registered Member
    Member No: 179142 scotta321 is an unknown quantity at this point scotta321's Avatar

Yes | No

My 2001 Boxter had the same problem. I got it turned off, at the dealer, they said it was a sensor failure. After getting that replaced, a couple of months later, I had the dreaded oil separation problem, smoke pouring out of the exhaust. That was about 5K to fix. I don't think going to the dealer will improve your odds of avoiding a costly repair, if that's what's going on, as it didn't help me. However, since the light goes on because of a sensor in the exhaust system, it could be any number of things, from minor and unimportant to this other problem.

DB

Yes | No

Just replaced the air oil seperator

cruise control fails to engage--checked the fuse--it looks fine.

Wonder if vac lines for cruise control could be fouled.

Check engine light is on too

Dealer repalced o2 sensor and did some front end bushing.

The engine runs 100% better with the new air oil seporator

Shifting of gears is much better--- first gear was becoming fussy

Any recommendations on synthetic oil weight--running 15-50

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information