+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Cockpit wind buffeting

Because of the relatively high seating position in the Z8 and its relatively upright windshield, most drivers experience a significant amount of wind buffeting in the cockpit while at speed. My experience with the factory supplied "wind protector" is that it helps, but only a little, and it gets in the way of smooth top lowering/raising plus it reduces rear visibility and takes away from the car's clean lines. Has anyone found another way to reduce the amount of wind entering the cockpit? Anyone using the "Wind Baffle" with success?Grease Monkey

harvey2

Yes | No

Re: Cockpit wind buffeting

Nope, haven't found any better ideas. However, I've adopted new headgear, a traditional leather pilots headcovering suitable for open cockpit flying. Keeps the ears warm on cold days, but looks very dorky, hence suits me quite well.

Registered Member
    Member No: 115567 kenz8 is an unknown quantity at this point kenz8's Avatar

Yes | No

I tried the clear plexiglass wind baffle with little success. I actually found that the buffetting increased between 30 and 50 mph with the baffle in place. I tried, as per the designer and distributor, various window heights with no change. The other problem encountered was the flexing and vibrating of the center portion at speed (everyone's definition of speed varies, mine is 60-80), which caused a rubbing on the seat tops that I was not comfortable with. To the positive, the owner is a delight to work with and is genuinely interested in the user's happiness-baffle was refunded with no problem.

Registered Member
    Member No: 112123 Z8NY is an unknown quantity at this point Z8NY's Avatar

Yes | No

I was thinking about shaving my head...

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

lol- very funny. I wear a baseball hat- tight!

Registered Member
    Member No: 21699 metzger is an unknown quantity at this point metzger's Avatar

Yes | No

No need to shave my head - nature is fixing that particular problem. Bought the Windbaffle but didn't care for it. Couldn't tell any difference between it and the stock item in function, and when mounted high enough (front of roll bars) to avoid rubbing the seats, it too interfered with top operation. Went back to stock. Will make you a fabulous deal on the baffle if you want to try one, however.Mike Metzger
    2002 Z8 (silver/black)
    2006 650 sport coupe (silver gray/chateau)

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: lol- very funny. I wear a baseball hat- tight!

I'm going to try wearing one of those jaunty British sports car caps, the ones with the ear flaps that fold down and fasten under your chin. With the flaps up, the short bill should help prevent the dreaded "hat on the road behind the car" and for those times when it is cool or the speed involved is supersonic, the ear flaps and chin strap should be just the ticket. Grease Monkey

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information