+ Reply to Thread
    Tristan

Yes | No

Car/Truck Advice OT

I am looking to purchase a new vehicle to replace my aging Dodge RAM
    diesel PU. I would like at least a moderate sized car or truck capable of carrying five adults and doing four wheel drive duty for skiing, kayak carrying etc. It must be a diesel. Any thoughts or suggestions from fellow Z8'ers?

Registered Member
    Member No: 44681 Z8Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bob's Avatar

Yes | No

I've never owned a pick-up, Suburban & X5 yes

With so many new vehicles, to choose from...

The "must be a diesel" does limit your field. Might be easier to generate a list of the diesel powered vehicles you would consider and whittle it down from there.

Just my $.02

GregJ

Yes | No

Re: Car/Truck Advice OT

The offerings by the "big three" are pretty good vehicles: Ford, Chevy and Dodge. They make what the industry calls light-duty trucks which is like the F150/F250/F350, Chevy 1500/2500/3500. There are "heavy duty" editions of these trucks which can take payloads and have towing capacity past the F350/3500 capabilities. I have had an F350 (gas) and now have a Kodiac (Chevy)diesel (called by the industry a medium duty) and both were/are like "rocks" for performance and utility with no service/repair problems.

If I were you I would first start with the payload/towing demands you will have. Specifically how much weight do you want to tow. That will start to tell you which trucks will fit your needs. The 4-wheel drive need will also limit your choices. It sounds like you need a crewcab (4-door) as well. Then go out and drive each one. I would get the most comfortable riding truck you find fits your towing and seating needs.

Drive the truck without passengers so that the weight is minimul. That way you will get a beter idea of how smooth the ride is. Any additions of weight will make the truck ride smoother. Chances are you will spend a lot of time in the truck by yourself anyway.

Also I would not cut the towing capacity close to the need you have. You can never have enough "overkill" in brakes and horsepower. If the truck specs out just capable of towing your package then jump to the next higher rated engine/frame package. Frankly I would go for as much horsepower as you can. You will not want to be climbing hills with the trailer at a crawl.

GregJ

PS, remember when figuring towing needs you must include trailer, what you carry in the trailer, passengers, luggage, fuel, etc.

Tristan

Yes | No

Greg,
    Thank you for the advice. I am familiar with the Trucks and that
    is my obvious choice with a "megacab". I was trying to be creative
    and find an alternative vehicle. I have been told by a dealer that VW makes a special edition of the Toureg with a 450 horse turbodiesel. This might be an interesting alternative to a truck. I am unable to find this on the VW website though.
    Don

Registered Member
    Member No: 30192 5280-Z8 is an unknown quantity at this point 5280-Z8's Avatar

Yes | No

MB will be coming out with two diesel engines on their GL. New super low emission diesel. Probably not out 'til spring. The GL looks pretty good. Made in USA. Pretty competively priced. Will compete with the Audi Q7 and the new X5.

There is talk about DC putting the same engine line in their Jeep Commander as well. Only the GL is committed. Most auto companies are having trouble meeting NY and CA emissions with diesel in a non-truck format. Two huge markets they cannot afford to pass up and do all the work to get a car "certified" in the U.S. 5280-Z8/645,

Registered Member

Yes | No

The Touareg V10 makes over 700 FP of Torque

Not available in CA until this Fall.

Got to the UKor some other site

Registered Member

Yes | No

Oops thats 750 Nm

Maximum torque 553 lbs.ft / 750 Nm

+ Reply to Thread