+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Steve (UK)

Yes | No

Very quiet on this board again............

Registered Member
    Member No: 23092 SchnitzerM5 is on a distinguished road SchnitzerM5's Avatar

Yes | No

Yeh, shame really as I'm sure there's >>

quite a few UK regulars on other boards who would find this one better than their current ones!

Ahh well...

update from me..

The Volvo V40 Diesel is going to be sold as of tonight, 1st choice is to go for a V70 Diesel, or I 'want' a 530D ..

others on the shortlist are an Audi A6 1.9 or 2.5 diesel, a saab 9-5 diesel..

Ahh well, we'll see how it goes..

Cheers for now!

Dennis! West London UK!!

Steve (UK)

Yes | No

Re: Yeh, shame really as I'm sure there's >>

Very true Dennis!

Diesel looks to be the way to go these days, looking at your choices of course the 530d is a great car (any 5 is!) however I've always had a soft spot for the Saab 9-5, though never driven a diesel engined one.

Let us know how you get on ?

Cheers
    Steve

Registered Member
    Member No: 23092 SchnitzerM5 is on a distinguished road SchnitzerM5's Avatar

Yes | No

A proper mission on fri nite! >>>>

left home (Slough) at 8pm, the M40 is kinda clear, few idiot drivers and rain slowing us down - then onto the M6 Toll, nice and clear and I put my foot down in the WRX. Arrive Stockport at 1115pm. Car Dealer is cool and I look at .. the 530 SE Diesel Auto . Here's the deal, an ex West Yorkshire Constabulary car, 150K miles, fully stamped up service book from the Police internal servicing dept. A 2003 on a 52 plate. Initial impressions look good.

After a look around, doing the dreaded 'look at bodywork under petrol station lighting' thing (has the usual dings and stone chips and a light lower part of car blow over respray), taking a 15 minute test drive, having a good poke around the car, only 3 small holes on top of the dash, no external holes etc..

I close the deal at ... 7350! bargain ! A trade contact showed us a 2003 530d with 60K to the trade should be up at 12000 so with the mileage I thought it'd be worth around 9000 at worst. So my deal price really seems good!

The drive back - I really enjoyed feeling it's driveability - it's been too long since I've had a BMW ! phenomenal performance! I got my mate to drive the WRX and we found a stretch of the M56 (i think) and we called on our mobiles. The WRX in 5th gear at around 70MPH me in the 530, both said 'go' floored the throttle and the 530d just pulled away from him until about 95MPH where he started gaining quite quickly! (although to pull away the BMW did downshift to 3rd I think it was)

We then swapped cars a few miles later so we could test out a bit further. Did the rolling test a few more times, but as I know thw WRX a bit, I dropped it to 3rd this time and I'm still impressed by the BMW's admirable turn of acceleration! - I quickly passed by though, up to 4th and then 5th and 120 mph when it's 'holyyyyy sheeeet' i see the yellow stripes - slow down and its a copper at 55mph in the inside lane!! Stomp on the sports brakes and no worries, 75mph past him, and I pull in front of him and continue - I knew he ran a plate check! the WRX has a slang/swear word (fully legal and conforming) number plate! but all good, he didnt pull me over!

We swapped at Birmingham again and the rest of the drive back was smooth and relaxed at 85-90 - till we got home at just before 4am!

It's a 'little' rough round the edges, we'll give it to a bodywork guy we know to get him to 'tidy' up a bit although as it is it's perfectly acceptable. We'll pass it to our excellent BMW servicing mechanic (he has 5 E30 M3's, a couple M5's an Alpina B10 bi turbo, a few maserati's, a couple classic E32 745i Turbo's etc in his garden!) to give it a mechanical checkover.

And then of course it's fun time! a set of 18 or 19 inch wheels and tyres, an inch or so lowering kit, some white M lights, and dark smoke tint all round and of course a set of leathers!

I'm just 'slightly' worried it'll turn out to be a lemon - but hey, I hope that passes soon !

Just wanted to share!

I'm BACK in a BMW after a 2 year gap! Feels good !

Dennis! West London & Slough UK - E39 530d! Oh and a WRX, and a 06 Smart Car, and a 2003 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Anniversary Edition truck (for sale!!)

Steve (UK)

Yes | No

Nothing beats a good late night high speed run ;-)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information