+ Reply to Thread
    steve

Yes | No

does tire pressure affect steering effort?

trying to reduce steering effort on 99 540iA, especially when turning from standstill. Does tire pressure affect steering effort at all, or does it only affect under/oversteer? Will raising front tire pressure lower steering effort (b/c more air in the front tires?) TIA

Keith

Yes | No

Re: does tire pressure affect steering effort?

Yes, raising tire pressure lowers steering effort. But on a car with power steering, the reduction may not be noticeable.

trying to reduce steering effort on 99 540iA, especially when turning from standstill. Does tire pressure affect steering effort at all, or does it only affect under/oversteer? Will raising front tire pressure lower steering effort (b/c more air in the front tires?) TIA

Michael

Yes | No

My experience is...

that higher tire pressures do reduce steering effort. Even with power-assisted steering, it is noticeable when moving at parking lot speeds. This is also when it's most beneficial.

However, you may get greater treadwear in the middle of the tire tread. Don't overdo it.

Another option is to select a different tire - the tread pattern (and probably tire compound) make a huge difference on steering effort. My experience is that less aggressive tread patterns (and harder compounds of economy tires) makes for easier steering efforts but of course, handling will suffer.

You might also put the car in motion before cranking the steering wheel - makes it much easier. Practise feathering the throttle.

While we all have to do it sometimes, dry-turning the steering wheel is not a good thing to do.

ToddR

Yes | No

Yes but...

I don't think the amount is noticeable. What is important and noticeable is the amount of under or oversteer in corners. I don't recall right off the top of my head which is caused by under/over inflation but it is definetely noticable and a safety issue. I run 33 up front and 398 in rear.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information