+ Reply to Thread

Thread: s38 rebuild

Registered Member
    Member No: 140844 jlthaugen is an unknown quantity at this point jlthaugen's Avatar

Yes | No

s38 rebuild

Hello,

I've read through the archives, but I'd still like to get some additional feedback on where to send my s38 for a rebuild. I have a bad piston, and I'm getting a noise that sounds like a rod knock from the front end of my engine. I'm looking at some local options (in the Seattle area), but I'm also considering sending the engine off to potentially save some money. Essentially, I'd like a rebuild with lots of performance enhancements and great quality done cheap, but I'm not really expecting that outcome. I still want the quality, and cost will be an issue, but I want to consider all the reasonable options before I rule anything out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 9058 mike325i is an unknown quantity at this point mike325i's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: s38 rebuild

I hear that Metric Mechanic does quality work but I'm not sure what they would charge to rebuild. Unfortunately, you'll have to crate the motor up and freight it to them. They also have rebuilt performance motors for sale. You could return your old one for core.

Mike
    mike

BMWCCA National Capital Chapter
    '88 M5 black/tan 5-spd 145k
    '91 325i white/black 5-spd 220k
    '91 318is red/black 5-spd 142k
    '95 525i gray/tan auto/vanos 125k

Mark 88 M5

Yes | No

Here is one well respected rebuilder.

Registered Member
    Member No: 40311 ekdemos is an unknown quantity at this point ekdemos's Avatar

Yes | No

rebuild

The best is Chuck Stickly. He builds the engines for the world challenge series. However, you get what you pay for. I believe he just finished building an s38 with 400hp for around 17k. For what you are looking for the metric mechanic would be the best bet. You ship them your core and they send you out a rebuilt long block ready to go. Good luch I wish I had the funds to rebuild mine. I will just enjoy driving it broken until it sells.

Registered Member
    Member No: 140844 jlthaugen is an unknown quantity at this point jlthaugen's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the comments, everyone--I'll check out the places you mention . . .

JimThanks!

Jim
    e28 M5

Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

Tough call.

S38/M88 motors are not cheap. Parts alone are going to run you $7-10k and more if you want more power. With labor, you're looking at a $15-30k...easily.

That's the downside of these motors. They are a joy to drive, but expensive to repair.

ScottieScottie Sharpe
    84 745i 15 lbs boost, BMWTurboPerformance.com MAF kit, 17x9 3pc BBS, clean underwear, Executive Interior
    88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with 2 row conversion, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, Racing Dynamics software, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    67 1602 Ireland coil overs, brembo brakes, Dual Weber 45
    Do you BMWwikiwiki.com ??

Registered Member
    Member No: 33285 88m53453 is an unknown quantity at this point 88m53453's Avatar

Yes | No

I'll probably regret this...but if you want send me your number and I'll call and go over it with you.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information