+ Reply to Thread
    Jim

Yes | No

Low Coolant Level

My 2000 XK8 coupe recently displayed a Low Coolant Level warning. I purchased a sensor from Jaguar, removed the old sensor (which showed signs of damage) and installed the new sensor. To my dismay, the indicator still shows low coolant. I topped off the reservoir, same message. I disconnected the battery hoping to reset the computer, same message. Has anyone experienced the same or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Registered Member
    Member No: 128901 danluc is an unknown quantity at this point danluc's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Low Coolant Level

I have been experiencing that [email protected] message for several months. It turned out to be the hoses on top of the engine. I believe they are apart of the return lines, not sure though. If you remove the engine covers, you may see them under the plenum assembly. When my mechanic replaced those, he had to remove the throttle body, now I need a new throttle body...3rd one now. These hoses are hidden well, and you amy get an occasional whiff of the coolant smell, but generally don't get to see any fluid since it boils off the engine. Good Luck.

Dan

97sk8conv

Yes | No

Dan,

It would be a great help to all of the forum members if you could send me your "dead" throttle body.

I plan to put together a throttle body rebuild kit. One of two potentiometers fails, and the entire throttle body has to be replaced.

Bruce

Vic

Yes | No

There is a float in the reservoir that is probably stuck. Try to move it with a small screwdriver or pick. It surrounds the sensor.

Jim

Yes | No

Thanks Vic, I opened the reservoir and fiddled around but was not able to stop the light. I did find something unusual - a small 1" pin that was highly magnetized. Sounds like something is clearly awry. Any thoughts?

Registered Member
    Member No: 101639 jagdoctor is an unknown quantity at this point jagdoctor's Avatar

Yes | No

I've only opened up the early style reservoirs. They have a float around the tower the level sender fits in. I alwaysd assumed the later ones were the same.
    Can you drain the coolant from the reservoir and see inside ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 138382 chrisdownunder is an unknown quantity at this point chrisdownunder's Avatar

Yes | No

Re:TB potentionmeter

Exactly my experience, I remember a few months ago a discussion on the board about an initive to get a supplier geered up to sell just the Potentionmeter? is that your plan has it happended?

97xk8conv

Yes | No

Re: Re:TB potentionmeter

Chris,

I do not seem to be able to get my hands on a throttle body.

This would not seem to be too difficult considering the number of throttle body failures out there, but ......

Bruce

nick

Yes | No

I had the same trouble with my 2000 xkr. I tried rebooting the computer by disconnecting the sensor, but that did not work. So I emptied the reservoir to see inside, Vic on this forum gave me the idea; I used a syringe from my wine making. Inside I found the white plasitc float which usually has a magnet inside when the float moves up it tells the sensor that fluid level is good. I tried to move the float up with a screw driver but it would only move up about 1/4". I then bent the end of a flat screw driver to make it easier to get under the float. I fiddled around with the float turning the float a little at a time and low and behold it moved up about 3/4". The float must be on a guide, possibly a grove. The annoying warning light went away. I hope that helps future problems

User Level 1
    Member No: 193286 espy1949 is an unknown quantity at this point espy1949's Avatar

Yes | No

low coolant sensor replacement on a 99 xk8

hi i'm new to road fly, and wondering if anyone out there has replaced the low coolant sensor. i purchased a new one from jag and notice that it has no threads but just a plain nipple (apparantly it pushes into some sort of receiver) i dont want to remove the tank til i'm sure of what i'm up against any help would be appreciated
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.128.102.35

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information