+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 115646 wettertx is an unknown quantity at this point wettertx's Avatar

Yes | No

Sticky Steering Saga Continues

There is a string of messages regards to sticking steering going back a couple of years. Since I just got a very low mileage 2004 Z4 and it started having the "classic" sticking steering as described by several others I am wondering if there are any owners satisfied with the repairs, mods, etc.?KWIK AG

nimatoad

Yes | No

100% satisfied

My car was one of the first which BMW fixed. The problem was with the rack, if I recall correctly. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and BMW contacted me when they had a fix.

Ever since the part was replaced, the change in steering response has been like night and day. The steering has a uniform weight and feel, regardless of the ambient temperature. I couldn't be happier.

-Nima

Registered Member
    Member No: 79687 Chadder007 is an unknown quantity at this point Chadder007's Avatar

Yes | No

same here...

Registered Member
    Member No: 115646 wettertx is an unknown quantity at this point wettertx's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: same here...

Can you give me any specifics regards to what BMW did to correct the problem?

Registered Member
    Member No: 79687 Chadder007 is an unknown quantity at this point Chadder007's Avatar

Yes | No

PUMA Case #

Your dealership may can reference my PUMA case as # 5161146

wettertx

Yes | No

Re: PUMA Case #

Thanks for the information.

Registered Member
    Member No: 140531 RussRT is an unknown quantity at this point RussRT's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: check tire pressure

This car is very sensitive to incorrect tire pressure.I use 32psi for the fronts and 35psi rear.Handling and perfomance is excellent!Tramlining gone,no sticky steering ,steering feels tight and does not dart out when changing lanes.The best way to get the correct pressure for me is I slightly over inflate the tires at the gas station drive home wake up early in the morning and just before the sun hits my tires I adjust the tire pressure.Try it !I love my Z it drives like a dream!!!

wettertx

Yes | No

Re: check tire pressure

My first thought was that a runflat was flat, but turned out not to be the case. The sticking started after a drive and the car sitting in a parking lot for about 2 hours, with the temperature over 100F.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15140 jaskispyder is an unknown quantity at this point jaskispyder's Avatar

Yes | No

Got the run around from dealer and BMWNA

Same problem happened to my Z. In fact it is so bad that I don't want to drive it on long trips now. BMWNA said they haven't heard about this issue (right....). Dealership faxed a sheet dated 12/16/2004, which said they are hearing complaints, but don't change any parts.

So, anyone out there any any other service numbers that people can dig up and I can use? I gave them the PUMA number used here.

BMW is letting me down on this issue.

J.

cmd281

Yes | No

That's BS... They DO have a fix for this.

After about a year of just constantly checking with my local BMW service shop and BMWNA, they finally shipped a steering column that seemed to fix the issue.

I live in Houston, TX, and it's been hitting the 90's lately. Over a year ago before I got the updated column, steering on my Z4 would be pretty much undriveable in these temperatures. However, it drives beautifully now regardless of how hot it is.

Don't give up... anyone telling you there isn't a fix for this is a LIAR.

otisnlucy

Yes | No

Re: That's BS... They DO have a fix for this.

I had my steering column replaced also due to sticky steering. It was quite dangerous, and I am still shocked that BMWNA has not issued a recall. I was all over the road when it happened....like steering with a big sponge, over-correcting and under-correcting. I too got the runaround at first. Other posts helped identify the problem and force them to acknowledge the issue. Anyway, seems to work fine now.

Bombayduk

Yes | No

There's your problem

A sheet dated 2004? They did not have a definite fix back then, however, by last summer they were delivering steering columns to everyone that had made a complaint. Mine was replaced last August and the problem is gone.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15140 jaskispyder is an unknown quantity at this point jaskispyder's Avatar

Yes | No

not much has changed

Well, of course the dealer wants the car to look it over. Which means 3 hour drive for them to say "yup" or "we couldn't reproduce the problem". Then I would have to bring it back AGAIN. I did file a complaint with NHTSA and I have called BMWNA (even more run around with them and complete denial on their part).

Sad, really.

Bombayduk

Yes | No

A known issue

They have been replacing steering columns for the past year. Take the loaner, make it a good one, and tell them you'll be back when they put a new column in.

User Level 1
    Member No: 187880 cdharter3 is an unknown quantity at this point cdharter3's Avatar

Yes | No

Z4 Steering - Possible fix? Please try it. I want to know if this works.

I have had my 2004 Z4 for about 5 years. I quickly noticed the steering issue that many other have complained about and tried to fix. I thought someone described it very well when they said the power assist seems to come and go as you drive, causing the car to constantly over-correct as you drive down the road...usually in a somewhat zig-zag path.

I only drive my car in the summer and store it in my garage in the winter. I always disconnect the battery for storage. A couple of years ago, i took it out of storage and a few of the lights on the instrument panel no longer worked. On example was the outside temperature indicator which only had a couple of dashes instead of numbers. I didn't worry about it.

Eventually, I took the car in for routine service. The service writer informed me that everything checked out good, but a few sensors on the car needed to be reset since apparantly the battery had become too weak or had been disconnected at some point. This caused the sensors to require resetting. The service technician reset the sensors so all of my indicators on the instrument panel then worked. He also mentioned that if it happened again, reinitialize the sensors by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right (or vice versa). That process will reinitialize the sensors (according to him).

That was in June 2011. It wasn't long after that I realized I didn't have the steering issues anymore. My assumption or hope is that reinitializing the sensors also apparently reinitialized sensors in the steering system. And these sensors apparently make the system work properly.

I have no proof of this other than the fact that my car doesn't have the problem any longer and driving is much more pleasurable.

C Harter ([email protected])
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.60.178.245

Registered Member
    Member No: 125148 redNJZ4 is an unknown quantity at this point redNJZ4's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Got the run around from dealer and BMWNA

I think we have two problems here. One is the steering column and one is BMWNA and specific dealers. Everyone knows of the problem and what the fix is. I quess it is just how nice and persistent you are!

---------------------------------------
    04 3.0 Z4 6sp sport (wife)
    04 330CiC 6sp ZHP (me)
    98 Bravada winters (wife)
    96 Grand Cherokee (me)
    68 396 Chevelle convertible (restoring)

Registered Member
    Member No: 85295 hallatauer is an unknown quantity at this point hallatauer's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Sticky Steering Saga Continues

Mine was repaired late last year and so far, so good... I'm really waiting for a few hot days this summer to truly put it to the test but I have faith it will be fine.I'm not tailgating, I'm drafting!

2003 Z4 3.0i SMG Titanium Silver/Black Leather
    2003 X5 3.0i Steptronic Silver/Black Leather

Registered Member
    Member No: 87185 WannaZ is an unknown quantity at this point WannaZ's Avatar

Yes | No

Another data point...

I live in western Washington - high temps not a big problem here. The ONE time it happened to me it was when I was driving home late one night this winter when temp was below 40, sky clear, top down, heat on FULL. After about 20 min w/ heat blasting at my feet it began to exhibit the symptoms so often described here. This leads me to the following conclusions:

1) NOT tire pressure related
    2) NOT tire size/type related (Dunlop Wintersports)
    3) possibly components affected located w/in the footwell

Hasn't happened again, but plan on following up w/ BMW and NHTSA when I've got the time.

wettertx

Yes | No

Re: Another data point...

Interesting.

My Z is at the dealer today.

Of course, the steering has stopped sticking, the weather is cooler, although as you have mentioned ambient temp may or may not be the problem.

I described the problem to the service rep and gave him the PUMA # that CHADDER007 posted.

Bombayduk

Yes | No

Actually, I had the same feeling

that the problem was around the firewall, however, even a cooling 30 minute ride home would not correct the problem.

When they replaced the steering column, they did take out the entire thing (wheel to whatever). The fix works; no problem in about 10 months.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information