+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

More on Wheel and Tire Road Hazard Insurance

My dealer offers wheel and tire damage repair insurance, not road hazard damage insurance. Upon review of the contract it became obvious that the policy reimbursement covers only the repair of wheels and tires that are damaged or punctured, but not irrepairable tire damge or wheel replacement. This is not an attractive policy at almost any cost due to its complicated claims process for repair reimbursement. Sadly, this five year policy that must be purchased upon initial delivery of a new car, costs $895!
    So, the question is: Does BMW recommend tire repair and wheel repair or replacement?
    If anyone can help me ask this question directly to BMW NA, I would appreciate it. If it recommends replacement, as I suspect, why then does a dealer offer such insurance?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: More on Wheel and Tire Road Hazard Insurance

To make money. Not recommended. True tire replacement insurance might be worth while. Several owners seem to have several flats in short periods of time. I do not and declined. At 24,000 no flats and still many miles to go.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

No question that offering such "insurance" is

just to make money from an over eager buyer whom they think will simply accept their oral description of such a policy and pay just to get the car. One would have thought that for $895 the policy would have actually covered the replacement of wheels and tires, as represented by the dealer's business manager. Such practices are an insult. I fully intend to contact BMWNA and ask their advice on tire and wheel repair or replacement and also ask them why they condone such dealer practices as I have described.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: No question that offering such insurance is

I forgot to mention I was offered the Tire Replacement Insurance at ~$500, only good at purchase time. I declined it then. When I order my repacement tires from Tire Rack I will purchase their Road Hazard Insurance. Much better value.

I just saw a post on another 6er board about a new owner being scammed by a unscruplous dealer claiming the BMW Extended Warranty was being considered to be dropped. That dealer was trying to charge nearly double, plus had the paint protection AND leather protection schemes going as well. Christ, what gall. BMWNA chimed in on that post saying no way were they dropping the extended warranties.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Let us hope that BMWNA chimes in on this scam too.

Registered Member
    Member No: 86565 goalie27 is an unknown quantity at this point goalie27's Avatar

Yes | No

Not All Policies Are Equal

Read the fine print. Not all of these policies provide the same degree of coverage (or lack thereof). Some are comprehensive, while some others (based on the feedback I see in this thread) have lots of holes in them. The one that I discussed with my dealer was comprehensive, covering both repair and replacement of tires and wheels. But caveat emptor is justified in all of this.

Registered Member
    Member No: 139315 SilverBMR is an unknown quantity at this point SilverBMR's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Let us hope that BMWNA chimes in on this scam too.

I read the other board as well on the extended warranty plan situation. That Dealer sounds like they are trying to rip potential buyers off. I paid for the extended maintenance warranty because I like the thought of taking my car back to the dealer for the oil changes, brakes jobs, and any recommended procedures they do every 15,000 miles (or so). I know most of you will tell me that I wasted my money but I plan on keeping this car for at least 100,000 miles and I don't want to worry about the cost factor, etc., later on. I did the same thing with my 330CI that I traded in for my 650 and BMW is refunding me the difference in the warranty that I didn't use. I thought that was pretty reasonable.
    Silver BMR

Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Step, Premium Sound,
    Sport, Comfort Access, Dark Birch trim, Heated Seats, HD and Sat radio.[IMG]

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hey, that was nice of them on the refund.
    _______

Registered Member
    Member No: 139315 SilverBMR is an unknown quantity at this point SilverBMR's Avatar

Yes | No

I thought so. Riverside BMW has taken care of me since I bought my first car from them back in 2002. Not the same from the San Diego Dealers I've visited.
    Silver BMR

Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Step, Premium Sound,
    Sport, Comfort Access, Dark Birch trim, Heated Seats, HD and Sat radio.
    [IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 65250 mu2002cs is an unknown quantity at this point mu2002cs's Avatar

Yes | No

Suggest you decline

Its not worth the cost. Dealer will scare you with the list price of a wheel & tire and tell you that after hitting one major pot hole at speed, you will recoup your investment. Also, he will point to the fine print in the brochure and owners manual that warns of wheel damage (disclaimer inserted by lawyers!)

If you damage a wheel, they are readily available on ebay. These wheels will have little more than the miles from the dealer to the shop where new wheels were installed. Also, per others that posted - tires from tire rack and NTB are much cheaper than most dealers. I actually have a good dealer that matches their price, if you bring it to their attention.

BTW - the only wheel/tire problem I have had in 18k miles is that one of the orginal wheels (sport) had a hairline crack and lost 4-5 pounds of air over a 1-2 week period. The wheel was replaced under warrenty.

Mike

Registered Member

Yes | No

You are correct. I have no intention of taking...

the "insurane". Next set of tires will be from Tire Rack with road hazard insurance. Wheels can be straightened easily unless cracked. Thanks for your reply.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information