+ Reply to Thread
    Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 99808 Kilovolt is an unknown quantity at this point Kilovolt's Avatar

Yes | No

UK Spec 6 Series MP3 Player Prod Date March 2004

Hello Boys & Girls, not posted for a while.

Bit of software interest for you.

My car is a UK spec 645 first registered in March 2004 (I think the build date was December 2003) so one of the early ones to say the least.

I have continually asked the dealer for the MP3 player to be activated (I made the salesman write it in on the original order paperwork in case they forgot, if you know what I mean).

Anyway, car is booked in for two days next Tuesday to carry out PUMA Reference Number 4283908-03. This will activate the MP3 player in the DVD drive (no sat nav possible if you use this??) and the single disc dash mount player. Not sure why the 6 disc multi-changer will still not work but what the heck.

Not sure if the PUMA notice requires any hardware changes (I think not) but they are keeping the car for two days for a full platform update. Two days because the Tech said they've had several 'lock-ups' on 6 series during recent major upgrades and had to start again?

Their problem not mine.

I have been warned it can take up to 7 minutes (not a typing error) for the single disc player to read an MP3 disc, the DVD disc is faster but it seems an awful long time to me, we shall wait and see.

I will give you an update on my (their) progress.

Not driven car for a quite few months (put in storage) due to building my new home (which I wish I had never started as we have been doing it for 55 weeks now).

Car has just short of 20k miles on it, love it to bits. Just had two new rear tyres, mainly because I had a puncture at 120mph which was very interesting, the car never even twitched, so I replaced both rears to keep them matched in wear. I have replaced the tyres with the original Bridgestone Run Flats, I have enough to do at the moment without experimenting with tyre choices.

I have no outstanding issues with the car, works a treat in all respects.

Anyway, just a meandering update which may be of (slight) interest to you all.

Best wishes from blighty.
    English spec Titanium Silver Coupe, Auto Gears, Dynamic Drive (Sports Pack in USA?), Adaptive Steering, Adaptive Headlights, Sat Nav Professional, Comms Pack With Business Phone, Lights Package, Folding Mirrors, 120 Style Alloys, Tints, Service Inclusive 5 Years/60,000 Miles.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: UK Spec 6 Series MP3 Player Prod Date March 2004

Yea, they do have issues doing update. Usually the TCU gets fried, but not necessarily due to MP3 update, just the recent CIP (now PROGMAN) updates at around 20.xx and higher - which just so happens to be when MP3 first became upgradable. The changer issue is all e63/64s for all build dates. No 6 CDC MP3 capability until March 2007 so says BMW bulletins on the matter.

No NAV when u use DVD slot for music. I also found that booting up at car start seemed a little long if you shut down with MP3 DVD in DVD slot. Even had a total wipe out of my software in this configuration. So I got a little cautious. If I have a MP3 DVD in NAV slot I switch audio sources prior to shuting down. NO issues noted in doing it in this manner. Boots up fast (really fast most times like instantly with key on) and then I switch to DVD.

I have not seen the 7 minute issue with either CD or DVD. Usually just a few seconds. Wonder if it has to do with method of burning the disks. I have been using iTunes since I never got NERO on my home machine and iTunes came with something else. I get full album names and song titles and organized in original CD order. Just for info sake, I have a couple of DL DVDs with 7 GB+ that work well. I usually make MP3s at no less than 192kbs and more recently at 256 or 320 kbs. It does cut down on total numbers but still manage well over 1000 songs on these DL-DVD.

Hope all works well for you. Will look for your comments when upgrade completed.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Member No: 99808 Kilovolt is an unknown quantity at this point Kilovolt's Avatar

Yes | No

Update After Changes

Just a quick update before my tea :-)

They car was in for two whole days, had 22 hours of software with 11 pages of A4 paper yes that's 11 pages) listed changes made to it. Some product recall stuff to do with changing steering sensors?? and a load of other stuff for which they said very little?? It was not all MP3 related??

MP3 works in single player and DVD, loading time is almost instant and seems to work well (it misses the odd time when but that could be my disc quality). There are no voice options with the MP3 functions but forward and reverse works from steering wheel buttons. Track names are very basic.

Voice is faster again after upgrade. Everything else seems unchanged.

So MP3 in a December 2003 production is possible.

Bye for now.
    English spec Titanium Silver Coupe, Auto Gears, Dynamic Drive (Sports Pack in USA?), Adaptive Steering, Adaptive Headlights, Sat Nav Professional, Comms Pack With Business Phone, Lights Package, Folding Mirrors, 120 Style Alloys, Tints, Service Inclusive 5 Years/60,000 Miles.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Update After Changes

Good report and nice to know it worked that far back. That just about covers any and all E63s.

Not sure what u mean by track names are very basic? I have full names on artist (folder names), Album Titles (sub folders) nad song title up to as far as idrive will display (about 26 characters I believe). I'll post pics later.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Yes | No

Track names.....

.....hello Cobradav. I burnt a very simple MP3 disc for testing purposes without any track information (I think). All I get in the screen is something like MP3_001 to signify track 1. There does not appear to be any artist or album info showing?

I will experiment with the burning software to see what information gets loaded. The talking girly onboard said "There are no voice options for the MP3 player" when I tried to access any possible options. But that's OK, just wanted the bigger capacity discs anyway.

The car continues to run like a dream.......... the roar of that V8 turns heads in our little village every time it fires up. Such joy.

Talk again sometime................. Andrew

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information