+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 127514 BrianINSF is an unknown quantity at this point BrianINSF's Avatar

Yes | No

Roof top window will not close (coupe)

My very first problem happened today after nearly one year of joy and 10k miles. I have the 05 coupe and I can not seem to get the top to close. (Its worked before and I'm familar of how to operate the switch.) I've pressed and held the button but the window just tends to tease me by closing then immediatly opening again. I've tried to push the button back and open the curtain then close it again but it just will not close. I checked to see if there was anything obstructing but its clean. Is there any "magic" override to close/seal the pop top as I'd like to give my baby a bath! Anyone else experience this? I'd hate to take it to the dealer for one item. Anyone?

'05 645ci, Mineral Silver Metallic/Cream Beigh Dakota Leather/Ruthenium Pearl Gloss Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Audio Sound Pkg(Logic7), Sport Pkg, 6-speed Steptronic, Sirius Satellite Radio, Tinted windows, Star Spoke (Style #92),Hardwired Bell Pro RX65 Radar,O2 XDA IIs WiFi Pocket PC/Phone, Top speed 134mph :)!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Roof top window will not close (coupe)

Sorry, no idea here. Sounds almost like the anti-trap issue on the front windows - however, I assume no message. Any strange noises at all that make it sound like there is any stress somewhere? Absent that it sounds almost like bad switch. Can u time it such that u close it and turn off key fast enough to keep it closed?
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 123751 viscomsa is an unknown quantity at this point viscomsa's Avatar

Yes | No

You could try closing it with the door key -- just put key in and turn to right and hold it in that position. First doors will lock, windows close and then shade closes.

Registered Member
    Member No: 121693 Reilly5 is an unknown quantity at this point Reilly5's Avatar

Yes | No

Had the same problem with my 645 when onle two weeks old. Had to have the dealer re-program the system to get it to close.

Registered Member
    Member No: 127514 BrianINSF is an unknown quantity at this point BrianINSF's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. After reading some of the responses, I decided to go try the key method, but never got that far. First, I attempted to use the switch but got the same results as the day before; it closed them opened with no time to turn off the ignition-the big tease. I then fully opened it and closed it and guess what..she decides to close and remain closed! Go figure. I works correctly now over and over. (I did that same thing the day before several times, so I know I'm not crazy.) Whatever caused the malfunction must have cooled off after letting the car sit in the garage the whole day today without use. I'm thinking when I parked in the 90 degree hot sun that day, something must have heated up a relay or solenoid switch and caused it to fail. I had no messages on the displays either. I'm thankful it works now for even I fail at times. :)

'05 645ci, Mineral Silver Metallic/Cream Beigh Dakota Leather/Ruthenium Pearl Gloss Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Audio Sound Pkg(Logic7), Sport Pkg, 6-speed Steptronic, Sirius Satellite Radio, Tinted windows, Star Spoke (Style #92),Hardwired Bell Pro RX65 Radar,O2 XDA IIs WiFi Pocket PC/Phone, Top speed 134mph :)!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 36477 XZLR8 is an unknown quantity at this point XZLR8's Avatar

Yes | No

That happened to me once...

... but I waited five minutes or so, tried again, and it was fine. My car had been garaged, so I don't think my issue could have been caused by extreme sun/heat (as you mentioned).

I've never had a problem since.
    '05 BMW 745i Sport (TiSilver/Black)
    '06 BMW 650i Coupe (TiSilver/Black)
    '06 BMW 325xiT (SpGraphite/Beige)

Registered Member
    Member No: 36477 XZLR8 is an unknown quantity at this point XZLR8's Avatar

Yes | No

Great suggestion.

I always forget about that feature.
    '05 BMW 745i Sport (TiSilver/Black)
    '06 BMW 650i Coupe (TiSilver/Black)
    '06 BMW 325xiT (SpGraphite/Beige)

Registered Member
    Member No: 108602 sachristman is an unknown quantity at this point sachristman's Avatar

Yes | No

see my earlier (9/2004) post on this. http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e63/5648085-1.html. This behavior has occured maybe a dozen times over the past almost two years. As recently as 2 weeks ago. I have not been able to figure out what is causing it (no common demoninator of heat/cold, etc., that I can see), or replicate it on demand. But in every case, the "trick"/feature described in the post has worked to reset it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 75873 jtgmig is an unknown quantity at this point jtgmig's Avatar

Yes | No

My wife's car (Lexus RX-330) did the same thing.

My local dealer suggested opening and closing the moonroof several times to reset it. It's been fine ever since. Just a idea...

Registered Member
    Member No: 141878 dereke6er is an unknown quantity at this point dereke6er's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi all, newbie here. I got the same thing happening on my 04 645ci, it did it once about two months ago when I was trying to close it when it started raining. Wasn't fun. I got the idea "helping" it down a bit and it worked. now it does it about once every couple of weeks. Gess it's some sort of glitch. Get it cheched out on your next service, i will...

Registered Member
    Member No: 138900 SurlyPlatypus is an unknown quantity at this point SurlyPlatypus's Avatar

Yes | No

I had the same issue. Mine seemed to happen after leaving the roof open for an extended period of time. I finally got it to close after trying for about 15 minutes. I then left it closed for about a week and now don't leave it open over night and havn't had the problem repeat.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information