+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

M88 Valve shim bucket depressiono tool

Need to adjust valve shims on the M88...

Question 1: Does the S38 depression tool work on the M88 motor?

Question 2: Can anyone loan me the tool, or stop by and drink some of my beers while I do my valves?

I'm in san Jose.

Thanks!

--Scottie
    Scottie Sharpe
    84 745i 15 lbs boost, BMWTurboPerformance.com MAF kit, 17x9 3pc BBS, clean underwear, Executive Interior
    88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with 2 row conversion, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, Racing Dynamics software, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    67 1602 Ireland coil overs, brembo brakes, Dual Weber 45
    Do you BMWwikiwiki.com ??

Registered Member
    Member No: 9058 mike325i is an unknown quantity at this point mike325i's Avatar

Yes | No

I was told

by the tool shop that sold me my S38 tappet depressor that the two tools are in fact different. Given that you need to do the job every 15K or so it might not be a bad idea to invest in one. It turns out that the M88 tool is about $10 less that the S38 tool.
    mike

BMWCCA National Capital Chapter
    '88 M5 black/tan 5-spd 145k
    '91 325i white/black 5-spd 220k
    '91 318is red/black 5-spd 144k
    '95 525i gray/tan auto/vanos 125k

Registered Member
    Member No: 33285 88m53453 is an unknown quantity at this point 88m53453's Avatar

Yes | No

yep,different

Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

PART NUMBER ANYONE?

I can't seem to find any references to the M88 bucket depressor tool. They have one on ZDMAK but it's for S38. Does anyone have a part number for the M88 unit? Thanks a lot!! --ScottieScottie Sharpe
    84 745i 15 lbs boost, BMWTurboPerformance.com MAF kit, 17x9 3pc BBS, clean underwear, Executive Interior
    88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with 2 row conversion, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, Racing Dynamics software, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    67 1602 Ireland coil overs, brembo brakes, Dual Weber 45

Registered Member
    Member No: 118825 mikebnh is an unknown quantity at this point mikebnh's Avatar

Yes | No

from dealer or??

Valve Tool for M88

Devinder

Yes | No

Re: PART NUMBER ANYONE?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35625&item=4644197 442

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks Devinder, for the link however....

That is for the S38 tool. I've been unable to find one for an M88.

Scottie Sharpe
    Provider of Mass Air Flow Conversion Kits for BMWs
    www.scottiesharpe.com/store

88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with BTP mass air flow conversion, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, Racing Dynamics software, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    91 318iC
    73 Bavaria
    67 1602 Ireland coil overs, brembo brakes, Dual Solex 40 PHH

Devinder

Yes | No

Re: Thanks Devinder, for the link however....

Scottie,

I know it says S38 but it also says euro only. I remember exchanging emails with them a couple of years ago when I was looking for an s38 tool and they said that this one is for the euro m6 only. It could be right tool for the m88 mislabeled for an s38

Devinder

Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

Scottie.. I believe mine has both on the same tool

Hi All,

I bought mine used from Kola Motors (the people who "use" to rent the tool and shim kit??) and it has a depression tool on each end. One end is wider then the other...

What do others look like? Is mine unique or might lots of them come this way without us knowing it?

Thought I'd pass it along, you can keep it in mind as you're searching those part numbers ;-)

... Scottie, if you need to borrow mine please let me know, assuming it is what you are looking for (however, I'll be out of town until July 10th)

Best Regards,

Michael

Registered Member

Yes | No

Interesting...ok, I 'll go investigate! :)

Scottie Sharpe

88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with BTP mass air flow conversion, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, Racing Dynamics software, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    91 318iC
    73 Bavaria

Ron

Yes | No

come to the hb event the 29th use my tools

the CMW party in HB (see socal party beer brats and bmws) you can do the valve adjust as a clinic. i have all the shims and tools.
    Ron
    coastmotorwerk.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 36789 partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point partsguy's Avatar

Yes | No

Valve adjustment tool clarification

I have both the M88/3 and S38 valve bucket depressing tools in my hand.The BMW part numbers are 88886113150 for the M88 and 88886113170 for the S38.Yes, the tools are double ended,the end with "E" stamped on it is for the intake side and the end with "A" stamped on it is for the exhaust side.The "E"&"A" stampings will correspond with the "E"&"A" marks cast into the respective cam bearing caps.The tools are not interchangable between the M88 and S38 engines due to the difference in diameter of the buckets between the 2 different engines,the S38 being larger than the M88.The S38 tool is also the correct tool for the S14 E30 M3 engine.Both tools were available from BMW at least within the last year and were both about $200.00 each as I remember.Hope this clears up the mystery.
    Tom

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yes, yes, yes!!

I would love to borrow it!!Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    73 Bavaria

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thank you for the invite....

Too far to drive with tight valves to begin with :)Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    73 Bavaria

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks Tom. The M88 tool is NLA from BMW.

Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    73 Bavaria

Registered Member
    Member No: 36789 partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point partsguy's Avatar

Yes | No

Zero on hand doesn't mean NLA nessesarily(LONG)

Keep in mind that BMW dealers are quick to say that a part or in this case a tool is no longer available just because BMW currently has none.I actually work at a BMW dealer and have researched this issue further since my last post.The part numbers have recently been superceded on both of the valve adjustment tools.The 88886113150 M88 tool has been superceded by 83300490941 and the 88886113170 S38 tool has been superceded by 83300490945.These supercessions are so new that the BMW DCS dealer system doesn't even have pricing for these numbers yet.None of the new or old part numbers have the NLA designation and I doubt that BMW would supercede a part number that they had no intention of ever selling again.BMW showed none on hand when I ordered my M88 tool about 15 months ago and yet after being backorderd for a few weeks,it showed up.I went ahead and ordered 2 of the M88 tools today just to see what happens.If they show up I'll let you guys know.

Bruce

Yes | No

Nice job.. so inspiring to have a dealer help an

enthusiast. What area are you in>?

Mike

Yes | No

El Paso Tool on Ebay

The seller said it is for the euro engine

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yeah...I know, but...

when I called them, they said that it was for the S38 motor. I don't think they know what's what. Maybe I should buy it and try to modify the tool to fit the wider spacing of the M88 motor. Gotta start somewhere I guess.....Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    73 Bavaria

Registered Member
    Member No: 118825 mikebnh is an unknown quantity at this point mikebnh's Avatar

Yes | No

Every one said NLA

So I orded the aftermarket tool. I'll post feedback after I have used it. I have used the BMW tool before so I will be able to compare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information