+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 123152 wolverine is an unknown quantity at this point wolverine's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't agree with you on your handling evaluation

And I don't think you'd find many skilled/pro drivers that would put the CLS55 equal to the M5 in handling, but that's your opinion. I don't think the 63 will be there either - still the same chassis and steering problems.

chip

Yes | No

Re: Don't agree with you on your handling evaluation

Whatever. They're 4 door saloons not track cars anyways. If you buy a 4 door to race around a track you're an idiot.
    If I wanted something to go round a circuit that costs ~$100k I would have picked a 997GT3 or a Z06 with some change.
    And the only thing holding up the CLS55 is the transmission (not the steering or the chassis). That's why the CLS63 will be a definite performance upgrade

Registered Member
    Member No: 123152 wolverine is an unknown quantity at this point wolverine's Avatar

Yes | No

I agree with you, except the steering/chassis

If AMG could correct those two things, I think they'd give the M cars a run for their money. As it stands now, there isn't much argument about who's got the better handling cars.

It's great to see them going N/A with a high revving engine and a 7 sp tranny (sounds familiar). The E63 will be a definite performance upgrade, but it's a stopgap product. The next generation, out in a few years, will hopefully address the chassis/steering.

chip

Yes | No

Re: I agree with you, except the steering/chassis

I hate to be nit picky but I'm talking about the CLS63 not the E63. The CLS series is more firm than the E class.

I will repeat that I'm not here to bash the M5 (other than Chris Bangle should be shot). I am just pointing out that Mercedes makes a very nice alternative.

Registered Member
    Member No: 134905 FrankD is an unknown quantity at this point FrankD's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Check out a low mileage RS6

I did check a RS6 out. Very uninspiring. Bland Audi styling, sluggish handling, and a problematic turbo set-up = thanks, but I will pass.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Check out a low mileage RS6

My friend got the first one in town. The M5 blows it away. It's heavy, overpriced, unreliable, and has a slushbox. Really old technology compared to an RS4.

chip

Yes | No

Uncle

So I was arguing that a CLS63 would kick [Oops!]. Guess what? I passed on the Mercedes and bought an M6. It is just so much more fun to drive than the CLS.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29509 sayemthree is an unknown quantity at this point sayemthree's Avatar

Yes | No

RS4.

Registered Member
    Member No: 143958 409 is an unknown quantity at this point 409's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Maserati Quattroporte...

It is a little more than the M5 but not to common on the roads
    393-hp 4.2L V8
    Paddle-shifting six-speed transmission
    20-inch wheels
    171-mph top speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 112690 Radiation-Joe is on a distinguished road Radiation-Joe's Avatar

Yes | No

I have an RS6

and a worked over e46 M3. From a handling standpoint it has the characteristic Audi problem of horrible weight distribution, but the DRC (dynamic ride control) makes a huge difference at speed in the car. The car is totally planted and belies it's heft and weight distribution when pushed hard. The downside is very harsh compression damping that makes the low speed ride a little annoying.

I love the bland Audi exterior styling.

Registered Member
    Member No: 146484 dfranci is an unknown quantity at this point dfranci's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: So if no the M5..then what? Which 4 door sedan...

Check out the four door Porsche...

http://www.autoinsidernews.com/2006/05/19/porsche-to-build-panamera-in-leipzig/iMpulse

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

CTS-V with mods for Rear Wheel Hop

Just watch the clutch dumps because the rear diff. is made of glass. Great $/fun ratio, so with the money you save, you can afford the $6k for a bullet proof aftermarket rear end. The brakes are stellar, and the handling is pretty good out of the box, but I'm sure here again Eibach springs and sways would greatly improve the grip. That American V8 sound will give you chills too.

If not that, then spend $20k on a fully sorted and mint e28 M5. Of all the cars I've driven, this is still in my top 5 especially with the rear SLS delete, BMW M-Tech springs, and adjustable Dinan sways.

Bob K.

Registered Member
    Member No: 90196 pcdoumas is an unknown quantity at this point pcdoumas's Avatar

Yes | No

Are you freakin kidding me?

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you driven one? It's just another option.

Registered Member
    Member No: 90196 pcdoumas is an unknown quantity at this point pcdoumas's Avatar

Yes | No

Let's get serious here.

tlennen

Yes | No

Re: Let's get serious here.

Peter,

I have had an E39 M5 and two 540's. I had a CTS as a company car and have driven the V several times. It is not a BMW, but for the money the CTS platform is a tremendous value. There are some typically stupid GM things on the cars, but they handle very well, actually are really reliable and have a great sound/XM/Nav system.

PS why are there so many very low mileage used E60 M5's on the market at dramatically lower prices relative to how well the E39 M5 used prices have held? Not flaming, just wondering.

Registered Member

Yes | No

You make good points.

But there is no comaparison between these two cars.

Ridiculous.

Bm5

Yes | No

If 500Hp isn't enough

then maybe you have finally outgrown your local streets/highways. With two impressive machines in your garage that are fully capable of causing drama, I wonder why a 4 door rocket is necessary. If your thirst for speed means owning the baddest 4 door around...it's time to tinker. You will not find what you're looking for off the showroom. Learn the trade of the tuners...what you'll end up with is purely dependent of your level of taste. But then again, most people in the M5 market are impressed by the impressions of others.

If you desire the limelight as you cruise down your local commute, please, just spend more money on a car than anyone else. Well, I can think of a few other ways but you get the idea.

tlennen

Yes | No

Re: You make good points.

Certainly not with the new M5. I meant the old one.

Registered Member

Yes | No

How did you arrive at THAT post, from his?

Would have been easier if you just said:

I am jealous and bitter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information