+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

Questions about clear protective film...

My dealer uses Venture Shield. 3M makes several grades of protective film, two called Aerogard and on called Clear Mask. I am not sure what, if any difference there is between the 3M products and Venture Shield. Also I am not sure that there are not other brands that may be better. BWM's accessory catalogue for the 6 also has clear protective covering. If anyone has links to comparisons or experience with clear covering material I would appreciate your feedback. I would like a film installed before delivery, which I expect next week, or as near to it as possible.

Registered Member
    Member No: 104751 Grey.Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point Grey.Coupe's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Questions about clear protective film...

I had it applied to my 645 immediately after delivery. There were already a couple small chips. I was told the new enviro-friendly paints BMW is using are more prone to chipping and damage from flying road debris.

I have put it on several cars with good results. Most "brands" are 3M urethane. Key to happiness is a quality application. The front end of the 6 is a bear to put the film on. Don't forget mirrors, light lenses, etc...

Some great cars over the years; Yellow 1966 Corvette convertible, '71 240Z, 1978 280Z, '80 MGB, 1986 MBZ 300E,'88 BMW L6, 1990 MBZ 300 CE-24; 1997 E420, 2003 CLK 430, 2004 350Z, 2004 BMW 645 Ci, 1988 MBz 560SL

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

I had it installed before I took delivery in mid-

June. The application was very good, including fim on the headlight lenses. I believe that they used a 3M mid-line product. I am very happy with the results and am certain that it has and will protect the car from stone chips that can pit the finish in a remarkably short time. I did not apply the film to my black 03 CL55 and within a few months the clearcoat was finely pitted in addition to a noticable chip on the leading edge of the hood from a small stone. I have no doubt that it will not damage the finish. The fine line across the hood where the film ends is noticable only if one is standing next to it when it is parked and even then is not offensive to me. I should mention that am a Zaino fanatic about my detailing, if that helps with perspective.

Registered Member
    Member No: 111818 chapelhillchuck is an unknown quantity at this point chapelhillchuck's Avatar

Yes | No

I used XPEL http://www.xpel.com to apply the clear bra to my 6 two years ago. It has saved me countless paint chips. I believe that they use the 3M product, but it was the team that did the application that really made the difference. They were very concerned to get it done right. They appreciated the car and wanted to be sure that it was protected.

2004 645Cic Atlantic Blue, hot seats, xm in the ashtray, sport package, pro-logic sound system, two years of encredible thrills.

Registered Member
    Member No: 119132 howardmw is an unknown quantity at this point howardmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Could you post some close up pictures?

Registered Member
    Member No: 111818 chapelhillchuck is an unknown quantity at this point chapelhillchuck's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Could you post some close up pictures?

I will not be back with the car for about 3 weeks so do not look for them soon.

Chapelhillchuck

Registered Member
    Member No: 119132 howardmw is an unknown quantity at this point howardmw's Avatar

Yes | No

I have no personal experience with using film. While it sounds like a good idea to protect against chips, I would worry about 2 things: what it looks like after a year or more on the car and if it affects the paint/finish after you take the film off. Also, my grandmother used plastic slip covers on her couch, which also cheapened the appearance of her livingroom and made us sweat.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Having had the clear bra on for two years it has not yellowed or otherwise changed color that would highlight it as being on the car. In brite sunlight from 5 feet you cannot tell it is on the front of the car.
    With regard to your mother's slip covers, they were probably 1950's vintage, that was for a different time. Remember that we are now in 2006 and protection is EVERYTHING, everywhere, and with everything we do. Unfortunate but true.
    I will be posting pictures of my car with the clear bra in a couple of week.

Registered Member
    Member No: 62789 yhofmasp is an unknown quantity at this point yhofmasp's Avatar

Yes | No

I've had X-pel on my black 05 645ci since 11/04 and am convinces that but for the clear film I'd have considerable rock rash on the front. So after 18 months I'm very pleased. Close up you can see the film (particularly if there are imperfections, which are unavoidable), and after the many waxings I can actually see a white edge around the film...but its barely noticeable and I would have it applied again in a heartbeat. I'd rather have the film than the chips. I'm not sure whether the product is 3M or something else.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information