+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 49726 gjbrauch is an unknown quantity at this point gjbrauch's Avatar

Yes | No

X5 overheat, engine destroyed

A friend has a 2001 X5 (3.0 6cyl) with 82k on it that expired on the freeway the other day with his wife driving. Apparently sprung a leak in the expansion tank, overheated, and died without any warning lights or abnormal gauge indications. BMW says the engine is toast and is offering a new motor at $10k installed. Anyone hear of similar problems with the X5, or have any insight or comments?

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

BS, gauge was pegged...........................

...dealer can pull fault history and the temp sensor will be faulted for a short ground from pegging into the red, gauranteed.
    They didn't see the gauge because they didn't look at it periodically while driving, by time they did look it was only reading air temperature because the coolant was all gone.
    Time to step up to the plate.

Registered Member
    Member No: 87434 rba is an unknown quantity at this point rba's Avatar

Yes | No

Sounds like driver inattention to vechicle.

Registered Member
    Member No: 96434 AprilGoose is an unknown quantity at this point AprilGoose's Avatar

Yes | No

I don't want to sound prejudice, but women, in

general, tend to ignore warning signs that a car will provide when it has a serious mechanical issue occuring. In this case steam and anti-freeze and then as the engine began over heating, noises from the engine etc. I know that my wife doesn't know there is anything wrong unless pressing on the gas pedal doesn't make the car move. Its a pity really, because something like that should never get to the point of blowing up the engine. Thats why my wife drives the Jeep GC. You can get the motor in one of those replaced for $3k.

fast4d1

Yes | No

Re: X5 overheat, engine destroyed

my wife was driving when the upper hose blew. she heard the chime and saw the low coolant warning on the display. she called me and told me and I asked her to look at the temp gauge.

she read the OUTSIDE temperature to me!

as least she had the sense that something was wrong LOL. she saw steam and pulled over right away.

x5farmer

Yes | No

Re: BS, gauge was pegged...........................

An engine temperature will NOT read air temperature if the engine is hot!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 87434 rba is an unknown quantity at this point rba's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I don't want to sound prejudice, but women, in

Sounds familiar. A few weeks ago as we were about to pass on the street, my wife flashes the brights for me to stop. I roll down the window and lean my head out to talk. Since I dont drive the X5 much (her car) I immediately notice a strange noise and try to listen. I get a strange look from my wife....whats wrong. I say something doesnt sound right from under the hood. I hear from her "I dont hear anything". Well it gets back to the house later on and I do some investigating. Seems like the water pump is shot and is wobbling around on the bearings...sounds awful. So I went and replace the water pump this last weekend. Sounds good as new again.

So thats my story.

01 X5
    01 740iL

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Temperature of the steam, not outside temp

FIND THE PROBLEM BEFORE BUYING $$$$$$$ PARTS

Any information may be true or incorrect depending on your perception of said information

"Note: Anytime I post I am only talking about USA cars unless otherwise noted. So please don't hammer me on some stupid European detail that wasn't supposed to be here in the first place."

'87 325is The best ever
    ALUMINUM BUMPER APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION (ABAA)
    Membership ID (00302)
    Joined September 14, 2005

Ikaika

Yes | No

Same thing happened to me. 2001 3.0 5sp with 56K driving 30-35 on the street, cracked expansion tank, steam appears, I pull over immediately. They tell me a cracked head. Over $6K to replace. I really believe something somehow caused it to overheat first cause I stopped as soon as the steam appeared. There is no audio alarm for overheating nor light on the temp gauge.

Registered Member
    Member No: 96434 AprilGoose is an unknown quantity at this point AprilGoose's Avatar

Yes | No

I hear ya

Registered Member
    Member No: 81190 backauf is an unknown quantity at this point backauf's Avatar

Yes | No

Strange...It happened to me too. But I had a little more time. First, it said "Low coolant". Since it had been saying that on occasion due to a different problem, I ignored it for a mile or two. Then, however, the temp gage started to move up and I pulled over because I knew there was something wrong then. Turned out to be a broken hose. But no damage to engine. I stopped it way before it got even close to red.

in the wheel well?

Yes | No

Common BMW problem, but not BMWs fault, really

The key here is "wife was driving it".

Some BMWs have cooling system issues: exploding expansion tanks, snapping radiator necks, exploding fans (actually a water pump problem) and of course, the infamous water pump failure modes.

BMW attaches its radiators to the car with QUICK RELEASE CLAMPS. That tells you how long they expect the radiators to last.

There are many tales of woe in other forums, such as the E36 and Z3 forums, about cars overheating and owners warping the head.

When the car overheats, the temperature gauge will go into the red. While your friend's wife might SAY they she never saw anything odd, chances are, a knowlegable person would have noticed the steam, smoke, temp gauge, warning lights, etc.

(Actually, when an engine overheats, you can feel the drop in performance, but then again with an automatic, maybe not so much).

Perhaps if she was not on the cell phone at the time, she might have noticed these things. ;)

That being said, many folks recommend overhauling the cooling system at 70,000 miles or therabout with all new componennts. Parts cost is about $500 and it takes about a day's labor. It is not hard to do with a sears socket set and a screwdriver and a couple of wrenches.

What's that you say? You have no tools or inclination to do your own repairs? Then it is probably NOT a good idea to own an older BMW...Seriously! Those types of folks should probably stick with new cars, CPO, extended warranty, and all that kind of crap. Owning 5+ year old BMWs gets tricky and expensive fast, if you are not a car person.

AND, it goes without saying that a BMW MUST have the cooling system flushed every 2 years or 24,000 miles with BMW coolant and Distilled water. No cheating!

P.S. - there are cheaper places to get a car repaired than at a dealer. A rebuilt engine could be dropped into it for less than ten grand. Maybe not a lot less, but less.

in the wheel well?

Yes | No

Do the whole cooling system...

If you are going to pull the water pump, and the car has any miles on it at all, do the whole cooling system:

Radiator
    Water Pump
    Hoses
    Expansion tank
    thermostat
    Thermostat housing (if phenolic)
    etc.

The parts cost is cheap, and usually you have to remove the radiator to get at the water pump anyway. Why re-install an old radiator?

Glad to see more "DIY" posts here and less of the "what should I get when my lease expires, a Lexus or a Nissan?" kind of thing....

These cars are a joy to work on, IMHO....

Registered Member
    Member No: 31631 Kendall is an unknown quantity at this point Kendall's Avatar

Yes | No

sure it's a BMW fault....

Despite years of knowing about these problems, BMW still insists on using cheap parts like plastic radiators made by Behr instead of switching to aluminum, making other coolant parts like the thermostat housing etc. from plastic causing them to crack and leak after time..

This has been a notorious topic of conversation in BMW magazine / Roundel / BMW CCA over the years why BMW still insists on using these cheap parts from distributors..

fast4d1

Yes | No

Re: Common BMW problem, but not BMWs fault, really

I have hondas that have radiators with plastic end tanks which last 180k. BMW has no excuse.

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezTech View Post
    ...dealer can pull fault history and the temp sensor will be faulted for a short ground from pegging into the red, gauranteed.
    They didn't see the gauge because they didn't look at it periodically while driving, by time they did look it was only reading air temperature because the coolant was all gone.
    Time to step up to the plate.
    I have a 2009. Same exact thing happened. BTW on the 2009 there is no temp gauge. So even though my wife was driving there's no way she could have known.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 198.228.233.103

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

The Rest of the Story...

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have a 2009. Same exact thing happened. BTW on the 2009 there is no temp gauge. So even though my wife was driving there's no way she could have known.
    I love these postings, where people do bad things and it is always someone else's fault.

The reality is this:

In older X5s, the temp gauge lights up RED on the last bar when it gets hot. You'd have to intentionally ignore this to let the engine over heat. But a lot of people never look at their instrument cluster - these are the folks who drive around without their lights on at dusk - they can't see their instruments, and they don't notice the lights arr off, because they never look at them. And yea, usually it is women.

You should scan your instrument panel several times a minute (as well as your mirrors). Most folks drive with their mouths open and their eyes glued on the centerline of the road. Most folks are horrible drivers.

Even when people NOTICE the overheating, they figure it isn't serious. In the E36 forum, I read all the time, "Well, it was in the red, but I figured I could make it to the next exit!"

Not with an aluminum engine you can't. Ask any Vega owner. Yea, same kind of high-tectate aluminum, too.

Even without a temp gauge, you would have to ignore the message center, which would trigger both a LOW COOLANT message (particularly if the coolant bottle cracked) and an OVERHEAT message. Just because there is no temp "Gauge" does not mean the car doesn't warn you.

But, what am I saying? This is America! Any anything bad that happens to you, has to be someone else's fault. Maybe the 1%'ers did it. Or immigrants! Or minorities! Probably it was Obama, or what do they call him? No-Bum-A! Oh, that is so clever!

But never, ever, you! You are never at fault! You are the victim! And victimhood is the greatest thing any American can achieve in their lives!

Sheesh!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 74.243.96.116

Unregistered

Yes | No

No light, No warning, overheating yes

Female here who is very attentive to my vehicle needs. 2010 BMW X5 48i. Drove almost 700 miles today. At destination for the night, no lights or warnings other than outside temp warnings which show a snowflake and outside temp 35 degrees warning. No change in performance or driveability. Park in front of hotel, go get room. Had to walk around front of vehicle to go in door. No smoking or abnormal smells sounds. Start vehicle and go to drive through nearby for food and return and park by side door. No warning lights or change in driving. Snowflake and outside temp 35 degrees warning on again. Park and get out of vehicle. Smoke coming from under hood. Get dog and kids into room. Come back out and antifreeze on ground (touched it to my tongue, that's how I know it was, it was sweet) and still smoking. NO WARNING LIGHT or HIGH TEMPERATURE warning at all! Explain that. I was very attentive. Over 200 miles from nearest BMW service. What the hell to do?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.186.44.194

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information