+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 137870 gyeah99 is an unknown quantity at this point gyeah99's Avatar

Yes | No

Oil Leak 99 540 - Is there a gasket in here? (pics

So, I replaced the valve cover gaskets twice (the first time I did a really sh*tty job and put sealant all over the place, also I just had the valve covers sand blasted and powder coated - they were peeling like crazy and really look like sh*t... Just redid it and it went pretty much perfect this time..

Anyways, I'm still leaking - not from the valve covers but from a different spot (don't know the technical name for this). The leak appears to be coming from where two halfs of the engine meet. Is there a gasket or something in there that may need to be replaced? Thanks
    Attached Images

Registered Member
    Member No: 137870 gyeah99 is an unknown quantity at this point gyeah99's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Oil Leak 99 540 - Is there a gasket in here? (

I guess pic links didn't work...see for pictures...

http://forums.[Oops!].com/forum/showthread.php?t=548009&highlight=leak

Registered Member
    Member No: 71237 hayseed is an unknown quantity at this point hayseed's Avatar

Yes | No

cant see the link - but guessing upper timing

case covers -- not that difficult but there is a trick or special tool needed to reasemble correctly

Registered Member
    Member No: 107750 mike8162 is an unknown quantity at this point mike8162's Avatar

Yes | No

The tool kit needed for this is (m)

#90-88-6-111-410. It is a two piece kit (one for the left and one for the right) and looks like half a head cover gasket made with hard plastic. It has little tabs that fit into the groove of the head cover. It is used with the head cover to force the upper timing cover down level with the head prior to torquing. I ended up getting mine from Samstag Tools and cost around $40.

Mike
    97 540iA (1/97)

Registered Member
    Member No: 33241 Nelsonbimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Nelsonbimmer's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: The tool kit needed for this is (m)

Hey Mike do you have photographs of this tool? I contacted Samstag Tools and they are three weeks out on orders. I was thinking that if I could see a photograph of it and maybe get a thickness of the plastic tool I could machine one for myself.

Thanks,

David

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information