+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 17316 tsuic is an unknown quantity at this point tsuic's Avatar

Yes | No

High mileage '00: Worst case scenarios?

I've been driving an '02 M3 for the last two years and love it. But as I'm getting married soon, I've been looking for more practical transportation at a lower price point.

A local dealer has a traded-in '00 M5 with 97k miles. I've test driven it and it seems to be in good condition. I will, of course, take it in for a pre-purchase inspection.

And, yes, I realize that there are many more reliable and financially responsible options, but I'd like to consider the option of staying in an "M" (without downgrading to an E36).

I've searched the archives and I'm aware of typical problems with this car. My question is: assuming a thorough inspection before purchase, how likely am I to encounter an absolutely catastrophic problem in the next two years or so? One that won't be caught early enough to fix and prevented by careful maintenance?

The dealer is asking for $28k, but I'm positive that the price can come down substantially. I'm willing to pay for the requisite maintenance of this high-mileage, high performance vehicle, but I don't want to take on too much risk in terms of complete engine/transmission replacement, etc.

Should I run away? Or could this be a viable "budget" M5?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
    -Charles

Joe

Yes | No

Re: High mileage '00: Worst case scenarios?

Most important! Pull a service history from local BMW dealer. Secondly have a PPI by an independent third party wrench!

Good Luck!

Registered Member
    Member No: 17316 tsuic is an unknown quantity at this point tsuic's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 21055 cwy8888 is an unknown quantity at this point cwy8888's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: High mileage '00: Worst case scenarios?

Do it.

Got mine at 64k miles, now over 81K. Love it.

Just curious, what's your list of the "usual issues"?

I think if you perform the regular maintenance, and if you really want a new car feel, plan to change out entire suspension components and spend couple grand on all the bushings down the road, it's a good buy.

Oil consumption can be a pain if you are not used to it, but it's no big deal.

All the parts for maintenance, including brake rotors, are expensive, but I'm lucky haven't had to do that.

MAFs go bad quite often it seems, I'm still OK after getting a set.

Cap sensors seem to go bad often, they are about 500 bucks at the dealer to repair.

One wheel sensor and one O2 sensor went as well, but not exactly horrible problems to have.

Tires are not cheap either. Anything I've missed from your list, pls share so I can plan ahead on the upkeeps of this car. Yes, not financially the best option, but when you are in the driving seat, you'll know that life is too short not to enjoy this car... :-)

CWY
    CWY 8888
    E34 '94 525ia 160k mi
    E39 '00 M5 80k mi

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information