+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Tires

Registered Member
    Member No: 42945 alexpapas is an unknown quantity at this point alexpapas's Avatar

Yes | No

New Tires

I'm ready for new tires. What is the concensus on this forum. Bridgestone RE 050 runflats or Michelin Pilot Sports and carry an aerosol can of Fix-a-Flat.

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: New Tires

Assuming you are running the OE wheels, I would suggest you consider the new Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions in a non-runflat version. They are Bridgestone's best handling tire available in a size that will fit the Z8 and should be significantly better than the Michelin Pilot Sports which are a very old design now. Michelin's PS2 would be a great alternative but they still aren't available in sizes to fit the Z8 with standard rims. For more on this subject, see my post below entitled "Bridgestone's best tire for Z8".Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 42945 alexpapas is an unknown quantity at this point alexpapas's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm sticking with OE wheels and I'm considering going with PS2's using a 255/40 in the front which makes the wheel & tire about 1/3 of an inch shorter than stock and about 1/3 inch wider. There will be a 2% effect on the speedo, which I can live with and the slightly wider front tire will fit in the wheel well without any problems.

I like the idea of the PS2"s as I have only read good things about them. I don't know how the Bridgesrone RE 050 (non runflats) compare.

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

The speed is read off the rear wheels so the shorter front tires won't impact your speedo readings. However, the 255/40-18 PS2s are too wide for your OE rims. They will fit but you will be outside the recommended fitment range and the sidewalls may not get adequate support. The RE050A Pole Positions are available in the correct sizes and are virtually identical in dry performance and better in the wet.Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

Heres a link

Registered Member

Yes | No

The Tire Rack guys as well as America's Tire/Discount Tire said the 1/3 of an inch width difference wouldn't impact the sidewall integrity, but they also all agreed that the Bridgestone 050 Pole Positions were a better tire, especially in damp conditions. Interestingly the Bridgestones weigh almost as much (30 lbs v 31 lbs) as the run flat version, whereas the PS2's weigh around 4 lbs less per tire. That's quite significant, if you're looking for fractions of a second around a track, but not really that much in real world city/suburban driving.

Registered Member

Yes | No

If the PS2s will fit your rims without sacrificing sidewall integrity (their opinion, not mine) and won't cause clearance problems with the front suspension, then I would choose them over the RE050A Pole Positions. Grease Monkey

Registered Member

Yes | No

I've ordered the 050's. I have no need for bigger tires and having lived with the 040 runflats from new, the 050's will be like driving a new car.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Please let us know what you think of the Bridgestones since you may be the first to try them on a Z8. Remember that you need to put about 400 miles of street driving on them before you evaluate them. Looking forward to your report. Have fun!

Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 131676 Dogsbreath is an unknown quantity at this point Dogsbreath's Avatar

Yes | No

Dont overlook the Dunlop Sport Maxx's. I fitted these and they are phenomenal.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for the input. I did list the Dunlop Sport MAXX as being available in sizes to fit the Z8 in my previous post on this subject but have no experience with them. Can you compare them to any other tire you've had on your car? I use their winter tires on some of my cars and have been very impressed.Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 131676 Dogsbreath is an unknown quantity at this point Dogsbreath's Avatar

Yes | No

Hey GM

I have only had the Dunlop's and the original run flats on the car so I cannot compare. I can say that they made the car perform on an entirely different level. If you come to Vegas sometime let me know and you can try them out.

Dave P

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for the generous offer, Dave. I do get to Vegas at least once a year to drive formula cars at Derek Daley's place so might just take you up on it. Glad to hear the Dunlops made such an improvement on your Z8. Grease Monkey

Registered Member

Yes | No

I installed the Bridgestone RE 050 non-runflats in the OEM sizes and the difference is remarkable. The OEM tires were Bridgestone 040 runflats and the they were hard, as expected but they also went out of round at some point, probably due to the car not being driven for about a six-month period. The ride was horrible and the flat spots made an annoying slapping sound, as if a large sticker was attached to the tires.

The new Bridgestones are exactly as advertised - extreme performamce, grippy tires that exude confidence. They are marginally lighter than the run flats as well.

I had considered a size compromise in the Micheling Pilot Sports but the practical corner of my brain said stick to the OEM sizes - BMW only spent several hundred million dollars to figure out the optimum dimensions, so why would I second guess them.

Thanks to Grease Monkey for the advice!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Glad to hear you like the RE050A PPs. Z8Mania has also installed them with excellent results and Z8Bob just ordered a set so you're in good company. Unfortunately, any tire, run-flat or not, can flat spot while it is parked. Some tires will flat spot in as little as one day, though this condition is generally temporary and goes away after some driving miles. Cars which spend long periods in storage are likely to have flat spots and these may be permanent. The rule of thumb is that low profile tires (50 series and below) are most susceptible to flat spotting so if your Z8 spends long periods idle, you really should address the problem. The best solution I've found is to park your car on a set of compliant rubber pads called Tire Cradles. They are made from a unique and very expensive rubber produced in Germany which compresses just enough to allow your tires to remain round, no matter how long they sit idle. They aren't cheap but they definitely eliminate the flat spotting problem. Check them out at www.tirecradle.com.Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

Once again GM steers us right!

I not only got the RE050A Pole Position (be sure you got the PPs as there is abig difference to the non PP tires) and they are terrific tires. A big improvement over the MPS1 in every way. My old MPS would feel a little out of balance when Id even let the car sit for a few days- and it would go away as I drove- usually took 5-10 minutes. With the tire cradles its smooth driving from the get go. I can put up with that 5-10 minute drive to reorient the tires, but I would think a prolonged sitting would cause more permanent flat spotting.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information