+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

Heater and A/C blower motors

Hi All,

Has anyone replace either of these motors in the e28 M5?

Is it a DIY job or are special tools/knowledge needed?

The heat is not "as much" of an issue as the A/C since heat pours out the bottom vents to heat the car quite well. However, if I ever needed defrost I'm out of luck...

...but I miss not have A/C, actually my passangers don't like the loud wind noise and air flow of 4 open windows ;-)

Any and all help is appreciated. Steve??

Michael

Registered Member
    Member No: 136776 Mark_88_M5 is on a distinguished road Mark_88_M5's Avatar

Yes | No

If both motors are not working I would check F14 >

as it powers both motors thru the AC selector switch.

Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

I should have given descriptions... sorry

Hi Mark and All,

The heater motor does not spin at any setting anymore. Before it gave up it only turned on the faster speeds, and then it made terrible screeching noises. It now blows the fuse if I turn on the blower.

The A/C motor is starting to do the same thing as it does not turn at the lower speeds and it too makes noise on the faster settings. I had it on the lowest setting and really didn't know it wasn't turning... I started to smell a burning electrical smell!! Da*n ... I forgot these things might catch fire!

So I don't use either one anymore ;-)

I "assume" that both are in need of replacing, being they have almost 220K on them.

Thanks for any help you might give in digging these things out of their respective hiding places.

Michael

Registered Member
    Member No: 136776 Mark_88_M5 is on a distinguished road Mark_88_M5's Avatar

Yes | No

Both motors carry the shafts on bushings and I >>>

know there is a post somewhere on replacing the bushings with bearings from a RC model car. I just don't know where it is anymore. Call Steve Haygood for replacement blower assemblies. He will need the brand name on the motor itself to provide you with the proper parts. I don't envy you changing the AC blower.

Todd Frye

Yes | No

E-28 heater motor R&R

Haven't pulled the heater blower motor on the M5 yet, but I have on the 535 E-28. I'm assuming they are the same or very similar. Remove the molded "firewall" that all the hoses are attached to. You should now be able to access the fan assembly. Get a good light in there so you can see the small clips that hold the fan shroud together. Be careful not to loose these small clips. Hold onto them with needle nose pliers when removing. Disconnect your electrical leads, and undo the metal strap hold down. The motor/fan unit should lift right out. My fan was pretty tight in the bushing, but after some patient coaxing with penetrating lube, put it back in, and it's been working ever since. The brushes where pretty worn, so I will probably replace this unit soon. Good luck. Todd Frye

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information