+ Reply to Thread
    Chris

Yes | No

Longevity with the Mini?

I am close to pulling the trigger on buying a new Mini. Has anyone put enough miles on their car to testify about the longevity of the Mini? Any issues with high miles. I have not been able to find much literature on the topic.
    Tks in advance,
    Chris

Registered Member
    Member No: 40551 rhysargon is an unknown quantity at this point rhysargon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Longevity with the Mini?

unsure what you consider high mileage. i have put 45 k in two years on cvt cooper and only had a defective battery. car handles great on long excursions. went 5k last month, louisiana to montana, and 7k two years ago. i have seen threads where some folks are above 100k

hope this helps

minimiller

Yes | No

July 2002 MCS with 64k, now a daily driver

A good friend has a 2002 Cooper and has almost 120k as a daily driver. No major issues to report - just lots of fun motoring!

Registered Member
    Member No: 79862 scooterboy is an unknown quantity at this point scooterboy's Avatar

Yes | No

86K on my '03...

It's my commuter car. Repairs I've had:

Faulty door switch replaced.
    O2 sensor replaced (at around 65K I think)
    Electric anomaly where the car would sometimes keep running even after removing the key (that was a weird one!).

Not bad for 86,000 miles. I'd buy another one with no hesitation.

Bill

Yes | No

03 MCS 90K Miles

Repairs:
    1. Leaking overflow tank at 40K miles. Replaced myself for about $20.
    2. Blown Xeon headlight at 50K Miles. Replaced myself with a used one for $60
    3. Quirky notification lights, DSC and Tire Pressure light remaining on solid. This happens once every month or so, since around 15K miles, light goes out when the car is re-started. I've seen others mention this. Never caused a problem, never had it looked at.
    4. Sometimes in the morning the car stalls on start, then fires up strong on next key turn. This seems to happen in the summer and is explained by summer blend gas mixtures.

I drive the car every day and have never regretted my purchase. I would buy another in a minute without thinking about it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 42335 dacrema is an unknown quantity at this point dacrema's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 03 MCS 90K Miles

"I drive the car every day and have never regretted my purchase. I would buy another in a minute without thinking about it."

I did. I had a 2003 MC that I purchased in Sep 02 (it was almost an 02 MC). I had a few problems but my dealer took care of all of them and if they needed the car overnight I got a loner. I put almost 80k miles on the car. The trade in was too good to pass up I now have an 06.

the old Silk Green MINI (aka DaMINI) and the new BRG/silver MC (Norbertt)

Registered Member
    Member No: 52177 MisterBean is an unknown quantity at this point MisterBean's Avatar

Yes | No

June 02 MCS, 54K miles, daily driver

HPuck35

Yes | No

02 MC with 55,000 miles

I have a 02 MC with 55,000 miles. Not a lot of miles compared to some people on this board, but still quite a few. It has been my wife's daily driver for the last year and she can be hard on cars, from my past experience. When I say hard, I mean she does a lot of stop and go driving, carries all kinds of stuff (the dog, groceries, "stuff" to and from girl scouts, etc). Have done the normal service and not much else to it and it's still going strong. A plastic trim ring on the gear shift knob cracked about a month ago and I want to replace it as it bugs me when I drive it, she doesn't mind, however; so it's on the low priority to do list.

My daily driver is a 05 MCS.

Registered Member
    Member No: 39946 smokey4 is an unknown quantity at this point smokey4's Avatar

Yes | No

02 MCS with 101,000 smiles!

Ok really it's at 100,798, but after tomorrow it'll be over 101. It is my daily driver (160 mile commute) and I've had a few little things occur but honestly it's very hard to remember them after this long! Once warranty went away and the pulley and rear sway bar, springs & struts, intakes (tested 6 so far) and the exhaust went on the driving pleasure went way up. Not that the stock was bad mind you.

Would I buy another: yes we did; 2 more of them, wife's 05 MCS & son's 04 Cooper. I'm finding it very hard to not find a reason to pick up a 06 before they're gone! I think PW/B would go well with the IB/B and CR/CB!

Great little car that feels big:~)

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to
    skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.............Holy Crap!! What a Ride!!
    "

Registered Member
    Member No: 126414 callen is an unknown quantity at this point callen's Avatar

Yes | No

she burn any oil?

???

Registered Member

Yes | No

Less then .5 qt bewteen oil changes

I let mine go the full computer determined distance also. So somewhere around 15,500 between changes, running Mobil 1.

I did have to put on another set of rear brake pads the other night. I think I've got an "issue" with the rear calipers. Maybe the e-brake isn't completely letting go; but I'm using up the inner pad with more then 2/3 of the outer pad remaining.

Thing is the dealership replaced my calipers last/first time I had this wear pattern back in Oct 04 at ~44,000 miles. I just checked with them and we're going to have a look-see next week. They did say that the previous work is warranted for 2 years and unlimited miles - so should be cost free if we find the caliper sticking.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to
    skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.............Holy Crap!! What a Ride!!
    "

--Speed-->

Yes | No

02 Cooper, 69K

So far so good!

My car's had a few problems:

1) Rear hatch fatigued off (haha - seriously! It fell off right in front of my dealer in Boston when I brought it in for a 'Mis-aligned' rear hatch. Wild!!)

2) Had to get new transmission (warrantee covered it) at 50K, because mine 'went bad' -- weird, because I've been really "nice" to my standard tranny. They said it was a manuafacturing error.

3) New brake rotors, calipers @ 59K ($600) - totally normal, just a wear-n-tear cost.

4) Car has stalled just after starting once or twice during summer months (summer gas mixuture issue? There's 10% ethenal in S.C. during summer...)

5) Got a Miltec exhaust system -- AWESOME sound (not too loud, but no more "blender" MINI Cooper sound), extra 5 hp. It sounds a bit like an old BMW 2002

Otherwise it's been trusty and WONDERFUL. Would I buy another one today? Well, I have my eye on a WRX wagon -- but mainly because I could use the extra room -- and it's a seriously fast machine. My find myself wishing I had about another 100hp to play with in my MINI Cooper. Maybe it's time to upgrade to an "S".... whaddya think?

--Speed-->
    ... busy in South Carolina!, formally of Massachusetts ...

Kyle B

Yes | No

water pumps?

Modern BMW engines (M50, M52, M54) seem to eat water pumps right at about the 50,000 mile mark. Im at 46K in my MINI. Anyone experienced water pump failure yet?

Kyle B
    NCC

Registered Member

Yes | No

Nothing yet

and since mine has had the 15% reduction pulley on the other end of the shaft, its been spinning faster then stock for about 49,000 miles. I installed the pulley at 53,000 and just rolled over 102,000 the other day.

Now that I think about it, I haven't heard of any either. There was a issue where the o-ring was pinched during the initial install on a few of the 02's. My dealer replaced mine at the 10,000 miles service even though I hadn't noticed a seep.

"

DaCrema

Yes | No

Re: Nothing yet, I agree

I spend a good amount of time on the boards but have not heard of anyone replacing a water pump. DaMINI (03 MC) had well over 50k miles when I sold it. It still had the factory pump.

User Level 1
    Member No: 199234 gp54will is an unknown quantity at this point gp54will's Avatar

Yes | No

'04 Cooper Turned 90,000 this morning.

I've had my '04 Cooper since it made. And although there was one BIG problem it's still going strong. About 5 years ago - and close to 70K miles the transmission failed: it was making noise like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts being rolled on a concrete floor! I took it to Mini of Monrovia and despite being way out of warranty they were fantastic. Said that a transmission should last much longer, checked the car out and after a couple days said that MINI would give me a new transmission if I'd pay labor to install. I was thrilled: they could have just said too bad, new transmission installed will cost $$whatever. Since then no major problems except every rare once in a while upon start up power steering has no power. If I restart it problem is gone. There is a service bulletin on this but dealer said can't replace power steering pump unless they can confirm problem and it's so rare/intermittent that that is impossible. Otherwise car runs great, looks almost like new and everything works. I'd like to buy a new car but just can't justify it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 159.83.252.233

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information