+ Reply to Thread
    bo rose

Yes | No

1985 E23 HVAC / vacuum system and vaccum motors

Is there more than one vacuum motor for the AC/Heater? I know where the one is over the brake booster, which doesn't work. Can it be repaired or should it be replaced? How much do they cost? I would gladly pay for the diagram of the vacuum system for my 85 735i. I need it so that I can trace the system for leaks. Hot and cold air only blows through the defogger vents no matter which control I select.

Thanks for any information.

Clay

Yes | No

Re: 1985 E23 HVAC / vacuum system and vaccum motor

I have an '84 733i and have found that the vaccuum pump (adjacent to the left shock tower) only comes on when the car is first started as it monitors vaccuum pressure. Perhaps you may wish to get a hand operated unit. : Is there more than one vacuum motor for the AC/Heater? I know where the one is over the brake booster, which doesn't work. Can it be repaired or should it be replaced? How much do they cost? I would gladly pay for the diagram of the vacuum system for my 85 735i. I need it so that I can trace the system for leaks. Hot and cold air only blows through the defogger vents no matter which control I select.

: Thanks for any information.

Callan

Yes | No

Re: 1985 E23 HVAC / vacuum system and vaccum motor

OK, Clay was right that there is one vacuum pump, but you have lots of flap motors on the car that need vacuum to run right.
    The pump turns on any time the level of vacuum runs below what the system needs to function.
    When you are running the engine it provides some but not all the vacuum. So the pump will run a bit when you first start the car to help build up vacuum for the plastic resevoir to store.
    If there is a leak the pump will keep running and usually this burns the pump up.
    If yours is dead you need a new one AND you have to fix all the leaks in the system.

I've written ALOT, about testing and what usually goes bad with certain flap motors way back in the archives of this board. Try to use the archives to find the info about testing and if you can provide a mailing address I will copy the circuit routes and locations of the vacuum motors[again]and mail it to you as I have done for others in the past.

A hand help vacuum pump for testing is really nice to have. Pep Boys or someone like them sell a good kit from Mity-Vac for testing.
    Some of the flap motors have 2 diaphrams not just 1 and it helps to be able to find out just how many things are leaking before you plug that new pump motor in.
    You can use a new vacuum pump to help pull the system down but you don't want to let the thing run forever over a few week period as you end up with a dead pump again.

Clay

Yes | No

Re: 1985 E23 HVAC / Hey Callan!

I could use one of those routing slips/diagrams as long as you're sending them out. I think that I have a flapper sticking. Sometimes I do not get full flow from the A/C and during the winter, sometimes I have to turn the car off and on a couple of time to get heat. Perhaps a solenoid sticking or not engaging that controls a flapper. Ahhh the fun of owning an older "7" seriers.

: OK, Clay was right that there is one vacuum pump, but you have lots of flap motors on the car that need vacuum to run right.
    : The pump turns on any time the level of vacuum runs below what the system needs to function.
    : When you are running the engine it provides some but not all the vacuum. So the pump will run a bit when you first start the car to help build up vacuum for the plastic resevoir to store.
    : If there is a leak the pump will keep running and usually this burns the pump up.
    : If yours is dead you need a new one AND you have to fix all the leaks in the system.

: I've written ALOT, about testing and what usually goes bad with certain flap motors way back in the archives of this board. Try to use the archives to find the info about testing and if you can provide a mailing address I will copy the circuit routes and locations of the vacuum motors[again]and mail it to you as I have done for others in the past.

: A hand help vacuum pump for testing is really nice to have. Pep Boys or someone like them sell a good kit from Mity-Vac for testing.
    : Some of the flap motors have 2 diaphrams not just 1 and it helps to be able to find out just how many things are leaking before you plug that new pump motor in.
    : You can use a new vacuum pump to help pull the system down but you don't want to let the thing run forever over a few week period as you end up with a dead pump again.

Bo Rose

Yes | No

Re: 1985 E23 HVAC / Thanks Clay & Callan!!!

I can't thank you guys enough. Here is my address to send the diagrams: Bo Rose, 37th & O Street NW, New North G-02, Washington DC 20057-1138. Thanks a million!!! Enjoy your holiday weekend!!! I'll be working on the car. : I could use one of those routing slips/diagrams as long as you're sending them out. I think that I have a flapper sticking. Sometimes I do not get full flow from the A/C and during the winter, sometimes I have to turn the car off and on a couple of time to get heat. Perhaps a solenoid sticking or not engaging that controls a flapper. Ahhh the fun of owning an older "7" seriers.

: : OK, Clay was right that there is one vacuum pump, but you have lots of flap motors on the car that need vacuum to run right.
    : : The pump turns on any time the level of vacuum runs below what the system needs to function.
    : : When you are running the engine it provides some but not all the vacuum. So the pump will run a bit when you first start the car to help build up vacuum for the plastic resevoir to store.
    : : If there is a leak the pump will keep running and usually this burns the pump up.
    : : If yours is dead you need a new one AND you have to fix all the leaks in the system.

: : I've written ALOT, about testing and what usually goes bad with certain flap motors way back in the archives of this board. Try to use the archives to find the info about testing and if you can provide a mailing address I will copy the circuit routes and locations of the vacuum motors[again]and mail it to you as I have done for others in the past.

: : A hand help vacuum pump for testing is really nice to have. Pep Boys or someone like them sell a good kit from Mity-Vac for testing.
    : : Some of the flap motors have 2 diaphrams not just 1 and it helps to be able to find out just how many things are leaking before you plug that new pump motor in.
    : : You can use a new vacuum pump to help pull the system down but you don't want to let the thing run forever over a few week period as you end up with a dead pump again.

Darius Starkes

Yes | No

Re: E23 HVAC / Hey Callan! joining the bandwagon

Can I add my name to the list of hot & sweaty E23 owners, please? I'm about to face a Dallas-summer with "steam" blowing out of my defrost vents. My address is 331 S. Stewart; Lancaster, TX 75146...THANX
    : I could use one of those routing slips/diagrams as long as you're sending them out. I think that I have a flapper sticking. Sometimes I do not get full flow from the A/C and during the winter, sometimes I have to turn the car off and on a couple of time to get heat. Perhaps a solenoid sticking or not engaging that controls a flapper. Ahhh the fun of owning an older "7" seriers.

: : OK, Clay was right that there is one vacuum pump, but you have lots of flap motors on the car that need vacuum to run right.
    : : The pump turns on any time the level of vacuum runs below what the system needs to function.
    : : When you are running the engine it provides some but not all the vacuum. So the pump will run a bit when you first start the car to help build up vacuum for the plastic resevoir to store.
    : : If there is a leak the pump will keep running and usually this burns the pump up.
    : : If yours is dead you need a new one AND you have to fix all the leaks in the system.

: : I've written ALOT, about testing and what usually goes bad with certain flap motors way back in the archives of this board. Try to use the archives to find the info about testing and if you can provide a mailing address I will copy the circuit routes and locations of the vacuum motors[again]and mail it to you as I have done for others in the past.

: : A hand help vacuum pump for testing is really nice to have. Pep Boys or someone like them sell a good kit from Mity-Vac for testing.
    : : Some of the flap motors have 2 diaphrams not just 1 and it helps to be able to find out just how many things are leaking before you plug that new pump motor in.
    : : You can use a new vacuum pump to help pull the system down but you don't want to let the thing run forever over a few week period as you end up with a dead pump again.

mill1546@comcast.net
    Member No: mill1546@comcast.net's Avatar

Yes | No

1985 BMW E23 Air..

Does anyone have a written explanation of how the heat and air is supposed to work?
    Thanks,
    Paul Miller
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.237.105

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information