+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 121693 Reilly5 is an unknown quantity at this point Reilly5's Avatar

Yes | No

Creaking Dash

My '05 645coupe with 18,000 mile creaks like an old sailboat with every turn or imperfection in the road. Seems to be coming from the area between the top of the dash and the windshield. Any suggestions?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107865 ptsales is an unknown quantity at this point ptsales's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Creaking Dash

This is a known and well documented problem. At least with the 645 Cabrio. Has to do with the struts from the front suspension towers to the center of the firewall. Happens when you twist or torque the body. Check with your dealer.

Frank

Registered Member
    Member No: 33269 spngd is an unknown quantity at this point spngd's Avatar

Yes | No

See my post below...
    My frustration is more of a clunking sound on my 2004 645ci which I am beginning to think is coming from the rain sensor enclosure on the windshield. I will be seeing the dealer eventually and will post any info. BMWNA did call my home and offer to help but I haven't even been to the dealer yet, so I'll wait to get them involved.

Registered Member
    Member No: 121693 Reilly5 is an unknown quantity at this point Reilly5's Avatar

Yes | No

Dealer replaced the strut brace on center support bracket and the noise went away. Was told there is a service bulletin out on this issue.

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

It is very encouraging that BMWNA is interested

in solving problems. Although I have had none in the 6 weeks that I have had my 650i convertible and have no reason to believe that my dealer would not do everything possible to solve any problems it is extremely uncommon for the company to get actively involved in problem solving. That is one very important reason I did not stay with my 2007 Audi S8 order. As much as I like Audi, it is unfortunate that their apparent tendency to ignore owners' problems very likely hurts their sales. When I went to the NY Auto show in April to see the new S8 and listen to the B&O sound system, which was astonishingly good, the Audi representatives could have cared less that I had made a deposit on one for Oct. delivery and only reluctantly agreed to demonstrate the sound system.

Registered Member
    Member No: 111830 mikegg is an unknown quantity at this point mikegg's Avatar

Yes | No

I have an 04/645 and have the same creaking dashboard. It's very annoying as you know.

Do you happen to know the service bulletin that addresses this issue? My service guy doesn't know anything about it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 104751 Grey.Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point Grey.Coupe's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a creaking roof since new--it might sort of balance things out...

Some great cars over the years; Yellow 1966 Corvette convertible, '71 240Z, 1978 280Z, '80 MGB, 1986 MBZ 300E,'88 BMW L6, 1990 MBZ 300 CE-24; 1997 E420, 2003 CLK 430, 2004 350Z, 2004 BMW 645 Ci, 1988 MBz 560SL

Registered Member
    Member No: 111830 mikegg is an unknown quantity at this point mikegg's Avatar

Yes | No

I'll trade you one creaking dash for a creaking roof. (:

Seriuosly, at least it appears that my problem has been identified and may be fixed. It's weird that I have to educate my dealer about this stuff.

As I remember you have your car almost as long as I have mine. I have 58,000 miles since March '04. Could be a record.

Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 130385 Maverick630 is an unknown quantity at this point Maverick630's Avatar

Yes | No

I have not gotten any notices from BMW or the dealer about any service bulletins. Is this something they don't usually inform us of unless the car is at the dealer?

I do get creaking noise from the dash as well but it seems like it comes from the area above the steering weel or instrument cluster area, not anyplace deep. I have about 3,500 miles on it now and the noise started at about 1,500 miles. Just today I tried to press on the shiny black trimming that surrounds the instrument cluster cover lens and it seemed like it stops the creaking. It almost seems like it makes the noise when this plastic trim rubs against the softer dash material, sticking then releasing.

I will try to push on it more and see if it really is the cause of the noise.

Registered Member
    Member No: 32350 destro is an unknown quantity at this point destro's Avatar

Yes | No

I have the same creaking even worse when i go up a driveway at an angle.

I've made an appointment and told them to look at strut bars and stuff like that. We'll see next week.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33269 spngd is an unknown quantity at this point spngd's Avatar

Yes | No

Mine was fixed first time with tightening of a center strut brace of some sort. See my prior posts for details. All better now!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 62789 yhofmasp is an unknown quantity at this point yhofmasp's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Creaks/Pops solved for the time being

My problem was a loud popping in the sunroof area whenever I hit a bump or torqued the body going up an uneven road surface. Dealer tightened center strut brace and it seems to have solved the problem. Dealer has ordered a new brace and is going to replace the brace, but in the meantime just tightening the existing one seems to have take care of the issue for the time being.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information