+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 123524 brenta2 is an unknown quantity at this point brenta2's Avatar

Yes | No

fitting a M5 (M745iA ) engine to a E28 M535i RHD

hi guys , looking at getting some info about fitting a twincam 286hp M engine from a RHD sth african built M745i , into my 1986 E28 M535i .
    its a RHD car with about 481600km on the clock .5speed manual .LSD etc
    done up most of the interior etc , have replaced engine with 2nd hand block and rebuilt head a little while ago .
    new tyres on 16" e39 bbs cross spoke wheels . rebuilt rear shocks and new front ones , replaced lots of rubber bushes front and rear ,body needs a bit of a repaint etc .
    drives real nice .have had it on a track goes ok .
    i am looking at possibly buying this M745i (M-power engine) with auto .
    its done about 140000miles , had the camchain etc repleaced 10000miles ago , and tunned etc .
    so i want to fit the engine into my E28 , what do i need to look at doing , will the extractors fit in ok around the steering box , will the clutch master cylinder fowl the head ( it sits outside onthe fire wall beside the number 6 spark plug) .
    will the main power plug loom plug in the same . what clutch kit should i get , will std 535i handle the power .
    what about the engine mounting arms , will the std m30 ones fit up to the M-power block .
    will the radiator from the e23 fit in to the e28 body etc .
    any help would be great .
    can email me direct if you like .

Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

is that Arnie's SA-745i ?

I'll walk you through the installation on the phone in exchange for the euro headers! :-) I'll pay shipping!! :)Scottie Sharpe
    Provider of Mass Air Flow Conversion Kits for BMWs
    www.scottiesharpe.com/store

88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with BTP mass air flow conversion, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, Racing Dynamics software, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    91 318iC
    73 Bavaria
    67 1602 Ireland coil overs, brembo brakes, Dual Solex 40 PHH
    Do you BMWwikiwiki.com ??

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: is that Arnie's SA-745i ? no sorry its in NZ .

Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

Mmmm..

Kind of a shame to rip apart a right hand drive 745i. They are extremely rare. I know of only 2 others besides yours. Scottie Sharpe

88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with BTP mass air flow conversion, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, Racing Dynamics software, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    91 318iC
    73 Bavaria

Mike M5 in UK

Yes | No

Re: Mmmm..

does that include the one that was sold on e-bayin the UK in the last two or three months? I didn't bid as my valour ran out; my wife would't understand another undriveable moth eaten BMW on the drive

Registered Member

Yes | No

i know of 3 in nz , and a 2 that have been cut up

took it for drive tonight , felt just like a normal e23 735i , but didn't have a chance to rev it out .
    i could feel it wanted to go though

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Just what I was thinkin when I read the first post. Why tear apart a very rare car for an engine that can be found in 2 other cars that are much more numerous?

Registered Member

Yes | No

have a freind who will take the body most likly and refit a std 3.5 m30 unit .
    needs a bit of love and care though . and my M535i is much more deserving than this white bus

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: is that Arnie's SA-745i ?

no its in NZ .
    do you know if the headers will clear the steering box etc , and will the head clear the clutch master cylinder etc.
    cheers brent

Registered Member

Yes | No

Oh yeah, Mike is right.

Forgot that the right hand drive cars had different headers made to clear the right hand drive steering. Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    73 Bavaria

Mike M5 in UK

Yes | No

Re: is that Arnie's SA-745i ? - headers

UK E28 M5s don't have bunch-of-snakes euro headers as they would foul the steering box, so if the 745i has euro headers I guess they'll need replacing;

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information