+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

7' high garage door and 16' ceiling?

How hard is it to make this work? Is there extra hardware needed to do the counter balance?

Registered Member
    Member No: 13147 tomcat is an unknown quantity at this point tomcat's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 7' high garage door and 16' ceiling?

I have 7' with 9' ceiling (instead of standard 8') and all they did was use a 1' longer hanger (difference between 8 foot standard and 9 foot ceiling) to orient the door.

Shoot, with 16' I'd slide a solid 7' door verticaly, directly up the wall and preserve all your space.

Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

good idea

I think I'd need a counter balance weight for the door. With a conventional height ceiling, the door spring force gradually diminishes as the door goes up, at roughly the same rate and the weight of the door thats still on the verical part of the track.

If the door just goes straing up, the weight and tension on the chain will be constant. An egineering puzzle...hmmmm.

Registered Member
    Member No: 23191 Jeff98NY has a spectacular aura about Jeff98NY has a spectacular aura about Jeff98NY's Avatar

Yes | No

hey Goat! we have a 7' door, and probably 12'

ceiling, I'll get a pic of it if I remember. If I was to build a garage, theres no way I'd put in a 7' door.
    -------------

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'm thinking about 8' high doors ,but...

I'm cramming a 2500 sq. ft. house (heated and cooled) on a 0.15 acre lot (6500 sq. ft.) and storing three passenger cars in the garage. There are a lot of compromises in the garage, including this whole lift-thing for the 3rd car. The 7' high doors are a compromise, but one I might not have to make.

The low-bay of the garage will only be 20' deep, generally not SUV/mini-van/pick-up suitable. The high-bay will be 23' deep (but have the AC unit there, so call it a usable 21' deep), but with the lift it will not be SUV/mini-van/pick-up suitable either. If subsequent owners have a SUV/mini-van/pick-up, they can take the lift out. The high-bay door will raise up vertically, so opening a SUV/mini-van hatch in the high bay will not be a problem.

This cramped garage will not have garage clutter, though. I'm putting a 8' x 16' shed opening to the back yard on the main part of the house. Car washing stuff (hose reel, mechanic's stool, buckets)will be the only things in the garage other than cars.

When we retire, we'll move to the country and I'm going build a [Oops!] barn. I'll definitely have 8' high garage doors, then.

This whole house is becoming one big geometry puzzle, but I can't put it down until I solve it.

This house is Plan C. Plan A was a 0.71 acre lot which was too far from my wife's job. House plan "A" had three 10' x 8' garage doors.

Plan B was a 0.23 acre lot (a triangle with a bite taken out of it), which the guy wouldn't sell. Plan B was an upside down house (three car garage, one bedroom, one bathroom, laundry room, and tool room on the first floor, all other living space on the second floor) which forced me to go to 9' x 7' garage doors.

This 0.15 acre thing is a tough nut to crack, but I'm almost there.

Registered Member
    Member No: 148185 tjankovs is an unknown quantity at this point tjankovs's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: good idea

They have high lift drums for these doors...the radius changes. Definatly change you door to high lift.

Registered Member

Yes | No

like the cam on a Nautilus machine?

topak

Yes | No

install garage door

anyone who cares about how to install garage door...?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information