+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 79514 mollyshark is an unknown quantity at this point mollyshark's Avatar

Yes | No

European Delivery...back home

Picked up our 650 convert in Munich a week ago Monday. First time we had done ED. Frankly, I was unimpressed. The delivery building is kind of an ugly warehouse-looking structure surrounded by thousands of cars and a bit hard to find. I found it strange to have a 2 hour wait there while they did "paperwork." They knew we were coming that day..why isn't paperwork done in advance? We had lunch in their "bistro," a totally forgettable experience. They were very good in going over the insurance, papers, and how to use the car itself.

Drop off was similarly difficult to locate, but went smooth. I find it strange that BMW does not offer you any transportation from a hotel TO the delivery building nor transportation from drop off to anywhere. Would have been a nice amenity that does not cost them that much.

We got to test the insurance process since someone sideswiped the car in a parking lot in Heidelberg. Will probably have to replace the back fender and possibly the bumper. Happened when we were at dinner. Interestingly enough, the repair will be done in the States after deivery. The only real issue we had with the car was that plastic housing over the rear view mirror. It is just a snap together part that unsnapped and fell onto the seat about 5 days into the trip. Strangely enough, the same part on my Z4 fell off about 3 months after I bought it.

Loved the HUD, figured out SOME of I-Drive. It is NOT intuitive. Some of the alerts will have to go. I was about to stab it with all the sounds, dings, and nice little voice telling us what we were doing wrong. Response on the I-Drive is a little slow. Would move it in the Nav area up or down to get to more selections and it sat and looked at me for a loooong time before moving. Route calculation also very slow. Will see how it does on the DVD for the States. The Z4 calculates waaay faster, but possibly not as much detail is being generated.

Car drove beautifully, although will feel better on US roads instead of 2 meter wide, 2 lane German construction areas. I kind of wanted to carry along a Smart Car! Didn't see one other 6 series the entire time we were there. LOTS of Z4s, Z3s, 1 Z8, and some small 1 series I haven't seen in the states.

Still, if you ignore the pickup and delivery process, it's a nice way to see some of Europe. Now a couple months wait till it arrives, gets the fenders repaired, and we'll see how it does OFF the Autobahn (we were doing 90 mph and being passed like we were standing still). Oh, a tankful cost us abut $100. Wheeeee.

mShark

Registered Member
    Member No: 81954 pan is an unknown quantity at this point pan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: European Delivery...back home

I am sorry someone hit your car.

I have to agree with you with the slowness of the iDrive. I believe the car manufacturers are very good at the mechanical parts of the car, the software to run the engine and pollution controls. However when it comes to the human interface they fail. I think they fail because they are so cost conscious in the early development they fail to use adequately powered electronics. The slowness of the iDrive is an underpowered processor, not enough memory along with a management team that is probably not personally computer literate forcing decision. The management issue I am convinced is real. There is no way a manager who is a user would accept the slowness.

This is my only real pet peeve with this car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33269 spngd is an unknown quantity at this point spngd's Avatar

Yes | No

imagine if Apple engineered the interface....

Yes I am a "rightfully biased" Macintosh user. The sluggishness and lack of intuitiveness of the iDrive is my main complaint as well.
    I was to pick up my 645 via ED and was derailed. After driving in France with its narrow roads and the crazy traffic/parking in Paris, I was soooo glad I didn't have my 645. The rental car had its drivers side mirror ripped off in an alley (or street) by an oncoming car. I was glad to get home to my garaged car. That said I am sure the experience mollyshark had will still be memorable.

Registered Member
    Member No: 81954 pan is an unknown quantity at this point pan's Avatar

Yes | No

Apple has....

by far the best human interface. Although I use a PC (because I need the Access database) I am a big fan of the Mac. Since Mac can now have both OSX and Windows running concurrently my next computer will be a Mac.

Registered Member
    Member No: 130385 Maverick630 is an unknown quantity at this point Maverick630's Avatar

Yes | No

Sorry to hear about the incident in Heidelberg. I agree with you on the delivery process. I was there last December and I also was a bit disappointed with the delivery center and also the drop off location. I had a hard time finding both locations but more so for the drop off. It was also snowing at the time so you can imagine how that would be.

My understanding was that they are working on a new delivery center but I am not sure when that would be all ready to go. I hope they improve on the whole experience since I did enjoy going through ED regardless of the few disappointments I had. I would want to do it again but it would be nice if they improve on what they currently have.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15919 Ginger is an unknown quantity at this point Ginger's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information