+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©40 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Hey DiS: Is this true?

Rookie forestery firefighters start out at $70k/year and only work 10 days/month? I'm talking about someone who has a college degree.
    Viv
    Sacramento, CA
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

Registered Member
    Member No: 23538 dsendek is an unknown quantity at this point dsendek's Avatar

Yes | No

Close but not quite....

And I can only speak for the state... But in general, firefighters work 3-24 hour shifts per week which would equate to 12 days a month. Our lowest permanent (non-seasonal) firefighter rank probably grosses about 65K per year - and that is before the overtime that comes with big, out of area fires. Unlike management, they get paid for every hour they work. A Fire Apparatus Engineer, which is three ranks below me, probably makes as much if not more than I do in a good fire season. CDF is probably lower than many local municipals - I'm sure a Division Chief at Sac Metro makes more than I do!

As for the education...more an more entry level firefighters are going the junior college route and getting an AS in Fire Science. It's gotten that competitive over the past few years.

There now, aren't you glad you aksed...? :-{p

Inner Circle ©40 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

I was close ;-) Thanks for the info.

Viv
    Sacramento, CA
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

Registered Member
    Member No: 23538 dsendek is an unknown quantity at this point dsendek's Avatar

Yes | No

What, looking for a new career? :-{o

Yes | No

Not me. I don't have that may years left b/4

I can retire! A relative related this info to me a couple weeks ago. Knowing how things get blown out of proportion, I was curious to hear if it was true or not. Sounds like she wasn't too far off, not counting OT.
    Viv
    Sacramento, CA

DiS

Yes | No

I have WAAAY too many years to go!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information