+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 136111 cwcw is an unknown quantity at this point cwcw's Avatar

Yes | No

Tourque Angles and Newton Meters

It's been a while but I have a quick question, What is the process in tightening the main and rod bearings, I do remember that using a compass and measuring the angles it worked out to be the same specs as a regular 535 motor, just tourque in 3 stages. Anyone know (using lb's) what the sequence is, (i.e. first tighten to 28lbs, second to 46lbs, third and final to 58lbs) ((I'm just guessing on these numbers)) I'm intersting in the process as it pertains to any of the bolts that are install in this manner, head, rod, main, etc..

*Also Steve Haygood if you read this post I found the one set of rings that I needed, (after snapping the oil ring on my final piston install, 2 days ago!!) Anyone who has installed one of these pistons knows that you have to be VERY careful with the ring compression tool, gently sliding in the piston and not snapping a ring!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Tourque Angles and Newton Meters

I used a three step torque proceedure..., guesed at the step increments, with this final torque set to what's in Bentleys for the 535i. I recall the mains being 48lbs (I think) and the rods being around 60lbs. Have never used the angle torque proceedure.

Your piston ring story reminded me what a bitc h it is to install pistons with the adjustable style compression tool. So I bit the bullit and purchased a anodized aluminum tapered compression tool that slides the piston right in. With this tools can place the ring gap right where I want it as the piston slides in. With the old tool there was too much moving around with the piston and the gap would move off center. Best $40 bucks I ever spent.

Philo.
    ----------

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information