+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 143309 ENK1 is an unknown quantity at this point ENK1's Avatar

Yes | No

New 650i owner - need some answers

Guys:

I picked up my new 650i Coupe the other day and have a few questions. This is my first auto transmission automobile after many, many years of driving and many different cars. (Fortunately, I still have a Porsche 930S Slantnose to keep me from severe withdrawal symptoms).

When not in "Sport" mode, the car feels very sluggish after a cold start, like the trans is starting in a higher gear than it should. This happens for a few minutes, unless I really hit the accelator and wake it up - then it starts to behave normally. Is this a normal occurrence with a cold engine and steptronic?

Also, the horn area is not very sensitive and requires a hard sucker punch to get the horn to work. If I remove the steering wheel horn cap can this be adjusted?

My only other complaint was disliking the "daylight running lights", but I had the Dealer re-program them to stay off in the daytime.

Other than that, it's a typical well made and fabulous driving GT car. I had an original M3 in 1989 and this 650i certainly upholds the BMW tradition. Thanks for any help you can give.

ED

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: New 650i owner - need some answers

The Step tranny is adaptive in that it learns your driving habits. If you drive it very aggressively it should start to repond in a more aggressive manner. However, it may not ever go down past 2nd gear in non-sport mode. In "economy" mode it more often starts in 3rd and may only kick down to 2nd if you step on it more. In DS or "Sport" D it should start in 1st gear. ALso in DS or "Sport" it should top out in 5th gear (well at least to 120 mph as far as I have gone in 5th). So basically 1-5 in DS or Sport and 2 or 3 - 6 in normal D. You could, of course, do the manual or STEP mode and do all the shifting yourself. Then auto upshifts would be at or near redline unless you upshift manually and auto downshifts at ~ 1300-1400 rpm down to 3rd only. Below that you must do the downshift manually. You can down shift at any "safe (as determined by BMW software) rpm manually. You can also pre select the final gear you u want and it will down shift at the first safe point (i.e. you are in 4th gear and you want to get to 1st gear in anticipation of light - you down shift three times to see the M1 in display and hold shifter in place against the spring tension).

Horn, no hope I believe and unwise to remove button without 1st disconnecting battery (the bag man:))

Unless forced by state (or country) law, I do not use DRLs either. My dealer did not turn them on for delivery at my request.

Enjoy and welcome!!

What colors and options??

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

COBRADEV:

Thanks for the terrific Primer on the Steptronic. Very helpful and I now understand it, but don't necessary like it. I guess I'm just used to the stick.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the airbag, I don't have that on my Porsche and never had to think about it when removing the horn pad or steering wheel. That might have been quite an outcome!

Incidentally, those DRLs on cars always seemed a little funky to me here in PA, but for some reason look rather cool in Europe (does that make sense?). Personal preference.

At this juncture (only 28 miles), I'm also not too crazy about the "I-Drive" system. I feel it should be called the "I Hope It Works" system! Otherwise, as you are well aware, the car is really something special.

My 650i Coupe is Sapphire Black/Cream w/Charcoal Wood, Sport Package, Sound Package, Cold Weather Package.

I'm sure I'll have some more dumb questions in the future.

ED

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Nice package.

I'm sure you'll have more ?? on iDrive. Don't let it intimidate u. I use a combination of steering wheel buttons, Voice commands and some little tricks with iDrive to get about. It'll come to you in time.

Eastern or western PA? I used to work in Bucks county and over in Cherry Hill, NJ for several years in the early and mid '90s.

Check out out meet in Asheville to run the Tail of the Dragon. We have folks from Burlington, NJ, Toronto, Mass, etc joining up in October. About 17 so far with M6s, M5s and the 645/650 instigators. Good way to get to know your car and meet some fellow enthusiasts.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Good old Philly.

Registered Member
    Member No: 138764 biztraveler is an unknown quantity at this point biztraveler's Avatar

Yes | No

I like reading this forum because I keep learning things. What is the reasoning behind not having your DRL on? I don't know if mine are set or not, I just use the light mode that turns them on and off automatically.

06 650i convertible, Black Saphire with Black interior and dark wood trim.

I love this car!

Registered Member

Yes | No

IF the DRL was set "ON" then even in bright daylight in auto mode your inside halogen "flash to pass" lights would be lit at some level - I think - since mine are set to "OFF". There is a form called "Car and Key Memory Settings" that the dealer is supposed to use at delivery where you select what you want at that time. That is where you would have them set DRL, Anti theft settings, the auto light sensitivity, and some window "one touch" settings. They can be changed later, but still have to be done by dealer.
    _______

Registered Member
    Member No: 105737 leemirth is an unknown quantity at this point leemirth's Avatar

Yes | No

October Meeting

interested in the meet i noticed you discussing for october....im out of allentown area and bought 6 recently at daniels bmw...thanks...please send me an email [email protected] Black/Red 6 Series All Options
    2004 Black/Black 525i Sport,Cold,Titanium,Xenon,6spd
    2002 Black/Black 525i Sport,Prem,Cold,Xenon,Wood,5spd
    1994 Green/Tan 840ci Auto

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: October Meeting

Sent email - hope it catches your fancy
    _______

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information