+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dent advise

Hybrid View

Alpina255

Yes | No

Dent advise

I just noticed a dent in the left front fender approximately 6 inches in front of the drivers side door above the lighted side grill.

Luckily (if any dent is lucky) it is only about 1-1/8 inch in diameter and 1/8 - 1/4 inch deep. The metal has not been crimped, dinged, or paint broken. It looks like a golf ball without dimples hit it. Since this is aluminum I wanted to ask for feedback to come up with a game plan for a fix.

Any info or wisdom is appreciated

Thanks

David

StuM

Yes | No

Re: Dent advise

Ask your dealer for suggestions re a good paintless dent repair firm. Mine has steered me well in the past. Results were excellent. Be sure they understand it's an alum body repair.

'02 Blk/Blk
    StuM

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Dent advise

Once upon a time, my beloved Z8 and I got caught in a severe hail storm and before we could escape, the aluminum body panels were dented more than 20 times! Needless to say I was devastated and began making plans to send the car to one of BMW's aluminum repair centers to have the damage repaired and the car repainted. Before taking this time consuming step, I decided to consult a paintless dent removal company to see if there was anything they could do. When the owner showed up, I told him I would only allow him to work on my baby if he could guarantee that there would be no trace of the damage when he was finished. He told me he was trained in aluminum repairs and when he was done, I wouldn't be able to tell the car had ever had a dent! I must say I was skeptical at first, but after watching him remove the first dent, I soon became a believer. He used a series of oddly shaped metal levers to access the back side of the dents and gently massage them from below until they were gone. When he was done, he asked me to see if I could locate even the tiniest ripple or wave in the body panels. I looked the whole car over, from every conceivable angle, in all types of light, and was unable to find any indication whatsoever that the car had ever been dented. Even the paint was flawless. He told me that aluminum can be a little tricky to work with because it can stretch, but that if done with care, the results should be undetectable. I was so impressed with his work, I had a bronze statue of the guy erected in my back yard! If you can find a good one, these guys are miracle workers and your dent should be no problem whatsoever. Just make sure they have been trained in aluminum work. Good Luck! Grease Monkey

Michael

Yes | No

my guy

used a heat gun to GENTLY warm the area to prevent paint flaking.

Mine was the dreaded door ding but it is gone now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information