+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why?

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

Your recent posts offer an interesting...

perspective. We are all entitled to our opinions and free to make choices on our automobiles. I found your comments on the SL550 on this forum instructive, if at odds with your diatribe against iDrive and electronic systems in all of today's upper-end models, especially including the new 997TT and the F430. To each his own. I humbly suggest that you try living with your favored SL550 vs the 650i conv that you consider ugly. I have had an 03 SL500 and 03 CL55 and far prefer my 650i conv, but will not attempt to change your mind. I truly wish that you enjoy your ride.

Registered Member
    Member No: 108602 sachristman is an unknown quantity at this point sachristman's Avatar

Yes | No

I didn't like PC mouse at first either, but then

after getting accustomed, it and i-Drive became second nature. Provides a lot of individual control without cluttering up with a bunch of seldom used buttons and knobs.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

what is objective against the SL500 (SL550) ?

have had a few MBs and found the service superior to BMW's. at every single time I might add. Never had a problem with the service dep or the mechanics and I wish I could tell a story when I had no problem at BMW.
    anyway the MB sure has their own share of technological nighmares. having had a few of them I know that they are weak in term of electronics and some mechanical elements also compare to the 80's and early 90's rock solid MB cars.
    But sure does BMW and with a recent change in style and direction from BMW it seems as they leaped forward a bit too fast, too giant of a steps in order to maintain the lead in sport sedan category. iDrive is/was a nightmare for most people. I have tried it and hated it. Sure i tried the 2st generation in 2002 and 2003 noting ever since. I just feel that I do not need that much of a control in a car and all functions can be done by pressing a button. When was the last time you could not find a button in a car for the job you wanted to do ?
    MB and Audi have copied the perfected the iDrive and I have used Audi's version. Sure it is better but still not needed. The good thing was that most normal function was controllable on the dash by pushing abutton versus iDrive where most function controlled by the iDrive.
    As far as taste goes, I think I'm not alone who says the 650 looks downright ugly compare to the SL550. The ragtop alone is a weird looking object from the rear, I could not figure out the reason for that odd shape, unless aerodynamics.
    at the end of the day if a porsche is released it is always impressive without explanations. Most MB's are beautiful designs regardless of the mechanicals and electronics, just by looking at them. The BMW's were the same till the 2002 7 series. Since then we all heard the explanation that it is actually a really nice car with lines that somewhere in a distance connect and create a convex concav complex shape which makes it really neat. Sure, you can tell a woman is nice if you turn off the light and drink a dozen margaritas... but that will not make it good. a good design is instantly captures you and without even knowing what do you like on it you just love it. Aston MArtin DB9 and Vanquish, MB SL500, E46 BMW, I might add the 8 series too, many many automobiles have a line that is pleasing to the eye. Not neccessary older cars, I like most new MB's look. The new SLK is absolutely stunning, a BMW Z8 is awesome, and in a less expensive categories - the new Honda Civic 2dr coupe is just one pretty coupe. On the mid price sedan catergory t h e Infiniti G and higher end M cars are simply elegant designs. SUre people would say a BMW is a better car - might be but we were talking about design and not which one goes faster or have more electronics gadgets inside. ALl that is not important to me. Even the engine power is not that important anymore. All newer cars can easily double the speed of the speedlimit, so whats the point ? a 325HP family sedan that does 0-60 in under 6.5s and sits 4 confortably and carries all the luggage isn't enough ? if anybody says NO, then please tell me where do you live and I move there too. I lived on the east coast since I moved to the US from europe and I found it hard to speed over 80-90mph for longer period of time. If you do you risk your license ticket even jail time. so I stopped drivign like a mad european and slowed down to the us speed limit.

1997 840CiA
    1990 Z1
    2002 Astro Van
    2002 Lexus GS300
    1998 Yamaha Blaster/Breeze
    1975 Fiat X 1/9

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

Enjoy your ride!

Registered Member
    Member No: 26083 r.merkle is an unknown quantity at this point r.merkle's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Why?

stick in there you'll get used to the idrive, you'll still have some memory gap form time to time but i find its worth the effort. what may help your near term problem is to use the vioce controls for switching the am/fm... as for the nav thats another thing, its got some good anf bad points. i still use my garmin streel pilot.

Registered Member
    Member No: 138764 biztraveler is an unknown quantity at this point biztraveler's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Why?

I live in LA and getting my 650 was a big step for me. I am not a computer geek, but am comfortable with Tech stuff. It took me a short time to get used to the Idrive, but once I understood it and how it worked I have no issues. I would not say I love it, but it is worth any issues to drive this car.

As I said I live in an area where there is so much going on in the street that having a car that helps you drive is welcome. Of course last week I took it out of town and when I got my first speeding ticket (83mph,lucky he did not clock the 110 I had just been doing - the car is a dream at that speed) I wish it had a feature to tell me the highway patrol is close by.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information