+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

sw

Yes | No

cam installation

Hello -- I got my 264 cams today and put the EVO cam gear in as well. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the photo album I put online, linked below. I am wondering if the slightly off (to me) index indicate I am off a tooth, or if this is it. Also, I am wondering if anyone with experience can tell me if this the correct lob orientation.

Why do these things have 2 indexes (sic) anyway??

http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/gallery/index.php?path=37420,1;-62,1;

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

There are two marks because the two cams are

identical. You use the mark on the side of the cam that it is installed on for timing. For example, the intake cam will use the mark that is closer to that side of the engine, and the exhaust will use the other.
    '87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

sw

Yes | No

of course, that makes perfect sense

I just wasn't putting 2 and 2 together!

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: cam installation

Seth, just adding to what G says....

The cams are inter changable so the put two timing marks, one for setting up the intake side / one or exhaust. If your looking at the front of the engine you want to line up the cams to the "outside" marks which means the inside marks are close to the centerline of the engine. Also, with the EVO gear you'll be about half a timing mark off on the exhaust cam. That is if you have the 3 dgree exhaust retard gear. If it's any more then half a notch something is wrong. Do not turn over the engine until everything lines up with tension on the chain.

Call me if you get stuck.

310-766-1923

Philo

sw

Yes | No

thanks philo -- one more question

Sorry to be a pest, but I want to get this right. Both of my "second" indexs are pointed to the center line of the engine, so I am aligned to the correct index on each cam, I think.

On the EVO retard 3 degree exhaust cam...I am off on the index by about 1/4 to 1/2 of the width of the index. The index is proud toward the center line of the engine. Is this the correct way the off-ness should be pointing? I get turned around by the physics of it ...

thanks for all your help.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: thanks philo -- one more question

Seth, did you try to call me ? I had a missed call on my cell. What's your area code ?

yes, if your looking at the front of the engine, think clock-wise rotation of the crank and gears.., the exhaust cam is arriving late to the timing mark on the bearing cap by about half the width of the notch in the cam. So when the intake cam mark is aligned perfectly the exhaust cam gear isn't quite there yet. Again.., by half a notch which is like 1/8 of an inch maybe.

Philo.

sw

Yes | No

Hey Philo -- I didn't try to call, I thought about it but I am taking it slow and decided to fight the manifold for a while. I have a lot more buttoning up to do, but I think I can spin the engine by hand soon to see if all is well.

thanks again for all your help. I hope to get a camera that can do extreme close ups. I ll post a picture of what this looks like in the photo section for others to see.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Sounds good... as long as you have the engine at TDC for #1 and the cams on their marks (3 degrees off for the exhaust) with tension on the chain then you are good for doing a full rotation, clockwise only remember.

Last word of advice.., pour a half a quart of oil over all the lifters, cams and chain before you start the engine. I poured a bunch over the valve springs before I put the cam box on but if you already have the box on just pour a bunch of oil in the cam box so everything is well lubed.

One more time.., you remembered the two o-rings between the head and the block.., right ?

Philo
    ------------

ScottJ

Yes | No

Let me know how it goes!

Seth,

Let me know how the cam installation turns out. Glad you are happy with the cams.

Scott

SW

Yes | No

update

Turned the engine by hand last night. All seems well. I still have a bit of buttoning up to do, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

One more question -- the flipping valve cover gasket I got does not fit and I was so shocked at that, that I accidently ripped it trying to put it on. Has anyone come across this before? I am going to order another as I tossed by original one that had a 120k miles on it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

Is the timing end too small? too big?

'87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

sw

Yes | No

tough to say where is it tight

But it seemed like the timing end was indeed the tight end. I have the dual chain idler in there with no marks of material removal, which is essential in that conversion from a euro simplex to the duplex...

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: update

Weird..., maybe you got a Euro valve cover gasket.... Also, the old gasket will probably work fine for another 100k and not leak. I'm still running the old one on my car after rebuilding the head.

Philo.
    --------

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information