+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 4975 jamsys is an unknown quantity at this point jamsys's Avatar

Yes | No

Can you get more than 8psi from Dinan S/C Safely?

Looking to get more HP out of my system.... I have a 97 540i 6Speed w/ the Dinan SC and many other mods (see link below)

Stock boost is 8PSI, how much can the engine safely hold? I havent done anything to the bottom end yet...

My upgrades

Thx!!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

I think so

I've been looking into intercooling my s/c'd 540. Dinan's intercooler for the M5 fits if you have the M5 or M-tech bumper and I'm told the software has some headroom to run a smaller s/c pully and up the boost without going lean. The guy that did my dinan kit is an HP addict (he's got a drag car and several big block Pontiacs) he said the plumbing can be done and we have 3 540's so far that want it done. He's in the planning stages now.

You might need custom software since you have the headers, open exhaust and ported heads. You may already be at the limit of the adaptations. Have you done a dyno run with an air/fuel ratio readout to make sure you are not lean at the top end now? That's a nice ride you have there. Who did your headwork?

Vin
    98 540 Sport with everything & extra hots
    BMW CCA, Boston Chapter
    Slower Traffic Keep Right

Registered Member
    Member No: 9573 alexargyros is an unknown quantity at this point alexargyros's Avatar

Yes | No

There's nothing wrong with the power

It's low-end torque.....I have the same issue with the Vortech supercharger......low RPM torque is just that "low"....yeah, I know, I am a Wussy, Auto tranny....

You could go higher with psi, but the intercooler will add weight and drain more energy....there's a point of diminishing returns

“I plan my life as if I am going to live to 100, but I live it as I am going to die tomorrow.”

'97 BMW 540iA (with extremely minor Dinan mods such as supercharger, 3.45 LSD plus other “stuff”, and capable of doing the ¼ mile in under 16 seconds flat at over 80 MPH)
    One and only owner, Just over 53,000 miles, ~ 450HP

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information