+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 135306 tefkay is an unknown quantity at this point tefkay's Avatar

Yes | No

Nightmare... front fender damage

Hi guys,

So a nightmare comes true. I was leaving a gas station, turning right and a Mustang comes screaming round the intersection and hit me on my front left side. The damage seems pretty bad. The whole left front fender was ripped off and bent (take a look at the pics).

Nobody was hurt. I was going maybe 2 km/h. The Mustang must have been going at least 40-50 km/h. He had to break hard once he saw me. Virtually no damage on his car, it looks like mine too the brunt of it.

From the pictures, how bad do you think the damage is? Am I looking at weeks of waiting for replacement parts, or is this something they can fix up in a couple of weeks? It happened on Friday so nobody from the dealer has looked at it yet...

Iím sure some of you might know this feeling. Itís a mix of sadness, outrage and regret. Iím most upset that I might have been able to get out of the way in time. I feel like a part of me is missing as Iím forced to drive around in a rental (Ford Freestyle, ehÖ.). The long weeks ahead of me look daunting at best.

It's a 2006 650i.

Thanks for any advice...

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Nightmare... front fender damage

I see no surface indication on the wheel that it was even touched so you might be ok there. I know it looks bad but so far only cosmetic. As long as the aluminum frame/sub frame are intact with no out of alinment or bends you are looking at bumbers/fender, and possibly light kit, which could be $2000-2500 in parts only.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Are these parts usually in the country (Canada) or do they need to be ordered from Germany?

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 36477 XZLR8 is an unknown quantity at this point XZLR8's Avatar

Yes | No

Ouch. Sorry!

And I know it's off the subject, but I love those rims.

Good luck. Here's hoping your repairs are done timely...
    '05 BMW 745i Sport (TiSilver/Black)
    '06 BMW 650i Coupe (TiSilver/Black)
    '06 BMW 325xiT (SpGraphite/Beige)

Registered Member
    Member No: 29499 bobkar is an unknown quantity at this point bobkar's Avatar

Yes | No

time for an M6 front clip

__________________________________________________ _________________
    06 650i Silver Grey

Registered Member
    Member No: 119132 howardmw is an unknown quantity at this point howardmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Hang in there, you will get your baby back good as new. I had a similar accident last November. The damage was just to the bumper cover and grill, though. Nonetheless, my car was repaired in one week and you can't tell that it was ever in an accident now. Tell the body shop to pre-order all of the parts while you are waiting for the insurance company to send their adjuster, that might save you a day or two. Let us know when you are back in the saddle again.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That's great news. Thanks for the hope!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Update

As I feared, there's a part that is on backorder. It needs to come from Germany. That means it's at least 3 weeks. The total damage cost was approx. $5700. Argh!

Registered Member
    Member No: 133987 tjhsiao is an unknown quantity at this point tjhsiao's Avatar

Yes | No

Can you replace it with M6 bumper?

I don't think insurance care as long as price difference is not much...

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Update

Sounds as though u did have some sub frame damage (aluminum chassis pieces). Too bad. But they will make it good as new.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Can you replace it with M6 bumper?

It's a lease, don't think so!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information